Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error during install of Sierra on Macbook pro Touch bar Model A1706

Issue with my MacBook Pro TouchBar Model A1706

I decided to update my computer to Big Sur while I was having Sierra (I know there's a 4 update gap). Of course the installation process didn't work and I didn't do any backup before... (otherwise it's not funny lol).

The 4 first pictures are what I've got after the BigSur update failed and I obviously can't access any data from the macbook.

After that, I've tried to install BigSur from an usb key, but it was helpless.

So I decided to restart the mac with recovery mode and reinstall MacOS Sierra from internet (since I couldn't find Sierra to do it from a usb).

But again it failed for two different reasons :

"An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." --> I tried several times but don't work.

"MacOS Sierra failed to download. Use the Purchases page to try again: --> I don't have access to any purchases page.

(image below)

The last image informs me that I have FireVault enable, if this is the problem, is there a solution to disable it from recovery mode using terminal ?

At last, I just want a solution to recover my data (photos, files, etc,...). After that, you can be sure that I'll have backups of backup...

Thanks in advance for your concern,

Guillaume

Posted on Jan 14, 2021 1:57 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jan 19, 2021 3:44 AM in response to HWTech

omg...

So the link you sent me --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 asked me at some point to make sure the external booting option is allowed --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208198

While following the instructions to make sure it was allowed I could only see this

So I thought that I could turn it ON and then OFF to see what happens, it was a very bad idea since the macbook is now displaying a lock and asking for the password I setted just earlier. But the password don't work...

So I can't do anything now, recovery mode don't work and I have this lock automatically instead..

Can I at least reset the macbook in this situation ???

Jan 20, 2021 9:49 AM in response to HWTech

You could try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R and running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. To see the hidden Container within Disk Utility you will need to click on "View" and select "Show All Devices". Even if First Aid reports everything as "Ok" click on "Show Details" to see if there are any unfixed errors or warnings which would indicate a file system issue that can only be resolved by erasing the whole physical drive. If First Aid fixes any file system issues, then you can try reinstalling Big Sur again.

I followed your instruction, by unfortunately, from recovery mode, there is no "view" and "show all devices" button... Below is the view I am having of disk utility

Whenever I run "first aid" on the others, everything checks out, no problem this side.

Jan 16, 2021 8:33 PM in response to guillaume265

Unless you are familiar with the command line the easiest way to access your data is by installing macOS to an external USB drive and booting from the external drive. After you recover your data, then perform a clean install of macOS by first erasing the whole physical drive. This Apple article shows how to select the physical drive in Disk Utility:

https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/erase-and-reformat-a-storage-device-dskutl14079/mac

You could try booting into Internet Recovery Mode using Command + Option + R and running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. To see the hidden Container within Disk Utility you will need to click on "View" and select "Show All Devices". Even if First Aid reports everything as "Ok" click on "Show Details" to see if there are any unfixed errors or warnings which would indicate a file system issue that can only be resolved by erasing the whole physical drive. If First Aid fixes any file system issues, then you can try reinstalling Big Sur again.

Jan 18, 2021 4:41 PM in response to guillaume265

guillaume265 wrote:

To make the bootable macOS on a external hard drive, I used this page https://www.macworld.com/article/3284378/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-mojave-installer-drive.html?page=2

I'm trying with Mojave, since Sierra is not available anymore (except in internet recovery of the macbook but it doesn't work)

But now whenever I am trying to do so I have this message on terminal...

"MBPdeGuillaume:~ guillaumemontant$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled -- /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Ready to start.
To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Untitled.
If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y
APFS disks may not be used as bootable install media.
An error occurred erasing the disk."

The error message tells you exactly what is wrong. You need to erase your USB stick as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled) before running the Terminal command to create the bootable macOS USB installer. Here is the official Apple instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you have problems after properly erasing the USB stick, then when you post the Terminal output please use the "Code Insertion" tool which looks like "<>" so it will be easier to read the output.

Before this problem happened, when I was trying to install Big Sur or Mojave and an error message appeared in the middle of the installation : "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission."
Do you think this is due that the FireVault is on ? Is there a way to disable it using terminal in recovery mode ?

Filevault doesn't interfere with creating a bootable USB drive. I highly doubt you will be able to create the USB installer from Recovery Mode since most of the macOS frameworks & utilities are not available in Recovery Mode. Recovery Mode is an extremely limited subset of macOS.

I didn't get it, what do you mean by that ? : "Sometimes when installing to the external drive you will need to Option Boot the system to select the external drive so the install process on the external drive will finish when it reboots after the first phase of the install process."

Once the first phase of the install process finishes copying the installation files to the destination drive the installer reboots the Mac. This should boot the Mac back into the installer now located on the destination drive, but sometimes it instead just boots the Mac normally. If the Mac happens to boot normally, then you need to Option Boot the Mac to attempt to resume the macOS installer so it can finish phase two of the installation & setup.

Jan 19, 2021 9:08 AM in response to guillaume265

If you don't recall the password you used or if it does not work, then you will need to take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider along with valid proof of purchase and valid identity of the owner so that Apple can remove the firmware lock. I recommend contacting the Apple Store or the AASP first to confirm exactly what documentation you need to provide to them as proof of purchase & identity. Try the password with the Caps lock key enabled & disabled in case the Caps Lock was accidentally activated when you set the password.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204455

Jan 17, 2021 10:54 AM in response to guillaume265

What happens when you attempt to install macOS to an external drive? Sometimes when installing to the external drive you will need to Option Boot the system to select the external drive so the install process on the external drive will finish when it reboots after the first phase of the install process.

Make sure to first erase the external drive as GUID partition and APFS (top option).

Jan 18, 2021 2:28 PM in response to HWTech

To make the bootable macOS on a external hard drive, I used this page https://www.macworld.com/article/3284378/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-mojave-installer-drive.html?page=2

I'm trying with Mojave, since Sierra is not available anymore (except in internet recovery of the macbook but it doesn't work)

But now whenever I am trying to do so I have this message on terminal...

"MBPdeGuillaume:~ guillaumemontant$ sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled -- /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app

Password:

Sorry, try again.

Password:

Ready to start.

To continue we need to erase the volume at /Volumes/Untitled.

If you wish to continue type (Y) then press return: Y

APFS disks may not be used as bootable install media.

An error occurred erasing the disk."

Before this problem happened, when I was trying to install Big Sur or Mojave and an error message appeared in the middle of the installation : "The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission."

Do you think this is due that the FireVault is on ? Is there a way to disable it using terminal in recovery mode ?

I didn't get it, what do you mean by that ? : "Sometimes when installing to the external drive you will need to Option Boot the system to select the external drive so the install process on the external drive will finish when it reboots after the first phase of the install process."

Many thanks

Jan 21, 2021 6:53 AM in response to guillaume265

Looks like the system is still booting an old version of macOS which unfortunately sometimes happens regardless of the keys used to access Internet Recovery Mode. Older versions of Disk Utility defaulted to showing everything so there is no "View" option.

At this point I would create a bootable macOS 11.1 Big Sur USB installer if you want to install Big Sur. If your Big Sur installer was downloaded around or before mid-December, then I would delete it (and empty the Trash) and download another copy to ensure you have the most recent version since the older installer had issues. The newer v11.1 version was released around the last week of December.

There is a small chance that you may need to first install macOS 10.13 High Sierra before being able to upgrade to Big Sur, but I would think this is not necessary if installing using the bootable USB installer.

Error during install of Sierra on Macbook pro Touch bar Model A1706

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.