Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

power adapter male pin BROKEN

My son called today with power adapter problems...took awhile for me to figure it out, but the tip of the adapter pin has apparently broken off inside the computers female power port. (the pin is flush with the metal collar while it protrudes about 1/8" on mine) I think it must have broken at the insulation.

If he's very careful, he says he can get the pin in and the battery still apparently charges but the light is always green.

How can he get the broken piece out of the computer and is there a replacement part for just the power jack??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jul 27, 2010 9:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2010 9:04 AM

Getting the stuck pin tip out of the computer is tricky. I have heard of people putting a drop of superglue on a thin object (like a nail) and inserting it into the hole, hoping to glue the nail to the pin without getting it on anything else.

I once removed a pintip that was loose in the jack by making a fine wire into a soldering iron tip, then quickly touching the pintip with a glob of solder then turning off the heat. It stuck and I pulled it out. I just didn't have any glue handy.

If you cannot get the tip out, you are likely looking at replacing the DC input board. Also, I have not seen replacement power plugs, so if you cannot fabricate from used adapters, you probably have to get a new power adapter.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2010 9:04 AM in response to Gordon A Bonnel

Getting the stuck pin tip out of the computer is tricky. I have heard of people putting a drop of superglue on a thin object (like a nail) and inserting it into the hole, hoping to glue the nail to the pin without getting it on anything else.

I once removed a pintip that was loose in the jack by making a fine wire into a soldering iron tip, then quickly touching the pintip with a glob of solder then turning off the heat. It stuck and I pulled it out. I just didn't have any glue handy.

If you cannot get the tip out, you are likely looking at replacing the DC input board. Also, I have not seen replacement power plugs, so if you cannot fabricate from used adapters, you probably have to get a new power adapter.

power adapter male pin BROKEN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.