Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Apps Get Stuck During In-Place Upgrade

When the App store notifies me of app updates, when I click to update the app (any app) the "status disk" looks as if it is going to start but then never starts. It sits at what looks to be zero percent until I restart the Mac. Killing and restarting the App Store app, or Finder, or Dock does not clear it. The only way I can update apps is by uninstalling the app and then reinstalling anew, but I must restart the Mac first or it will still be stuck even after uninstalling the App. Restarting the Mac resets the app so that it just shows that there is an update available. This is reproducible every time.

macOS 11.1

Thanks

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 6:32 AM

Are we talking about an App for the Apple Store? If so, try this. With the Apple Store Open and logged in - Click on the Name of the App it wants to Update, Not on the Update icon. This will bring up a deeper view of the App. In there should see the Update I icon again - click on Update. Hopefully it will download the updated version of the App. Have seen this happen several time since Catalina where Number, Pages and Keynote will behave this way. Can not offer explanation why it just does.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 6:32 AM in response to jd000000000000

Are we talking about an App for the Apple Store? If so, try this. With the Apple Store Open and logged in - Click on the Name of the App it wants to Update, Not on the Update icon. This will bring up a deeper view of the App. In there should see the Update I icon again - click on Update. Hopefully it will download the updated version of the App. Have seen this happen several time since Catalina where Number, Pages and Keynote will behave this way. Can not offer explanation why it just does.

macOS Apps Get Stuck During In-Place Upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.