Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts lost upon update to iOS 14.3

I’ve lost my contacts in the contact list after updating to 14.3. The contacts are still there when I use text messaging however not on the phone - and it will not bring up the contact name when I receive texts etc . I’ve tried all the online tricks to try to get them back - network settings- turning off/on phone -and iCloud held another family phone’s contacts - not mine. Any suggestions?

thanks

iPhone 11

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 5:43 AM

Hello Rob_Canada,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you lost your contacts after updating to iOS 14.3. Are you sharing your Apple ID with another family member? That would be the reason their contacts are showing up in your iCloud account. If they saw your contacts on their device they could have deleted them which would have deleted them from iCloud and removed them from your device.

If you are sharing an Apple ID, one of you should create a new Apple ID and sign out of the shared Apple ID. Then sign back in with the new Apple ID so you are no longer sharing an Apple ID. This article will provide you with steps on how to create a new Apple ID:

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Once you have your own Apple ID, use the steps in this article to remove the old Apple ID and sign in with the new Apple ID:

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Once you each have your own Apple ID you can set up Family Sharing so you can continue to share apps and purchases if you like.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Best Regards.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 5:43 AM in response to Rob_Canada

Hello Rob_Canada,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities!

We understand from your post that you lost your contacts after updating to iOS 14.3. Are you sharing your Apple ID with another family member? That would be the reason their contacts are showing up in your iCloud account. If they saw your contacts on their device they could have deleted them which would have deleted them from iCloud and removed them from your device.

If you are sharing an Apple ID, one of you should create a new Apple ID and sign out of the shared Apple ID. Then sign back in with the new Apple ID so you are no longer sharing an Apple ID. This article will provide you with steps on how to create a new Apple ID:

How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Once you have your own Apple ID, use the steps in this article to remove the old Apple ID and sign in with the new Apple ID:

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

Once you each have your own Apple ID you can set up Family Sharing so you can continue to share apps and purchases if you like.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Best Regards.

Jan 17, 2021 3:53 PM in response to Rob_Canada

Rob_Canada,

Then you tap Contacts, do you have the word Groups in the upper left corner? If so, tap Groups and make sure that each group has a check mark in front of it. Also, check to see if your default account is still accurate. This article has information under the heading, "Choose a default account to add new contacts", that will provide you with the steps to check the default account:

Manage and delete contacts on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Take Care.

Jan 17, 2021 6:08 AM in response to Alwayswantingtohelp1

Hi! Thanks for the response

unfortunately that is not the problem . The phone updated overnight and I woke up to no contacts in the contact list . The contacts can be found when I look them up through text messaging. They are all missing from the regular contacts list when I try to make phone calls . Incoming calls and texts also do not display the contact - just the phone number .

Contacts lost upon update to iOS 14.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.