Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages stopped receiving messages...

So here's the deal.

If I use Messages to message someone from my Mac, I will get a reply.

If I use Messages on my iPhone 12 Pro, the Messages on the Mac doesn't sync up with it, so I have to reply on my phone.

This used to work as of last week. I don't know what happened, but how do I fix this?

Thanks!

Mac Pro

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 12:37 PM

On your phone, go to Settings, scroll way down to Messages.

Send & Receive -- should show your phone number and an Apple ID associated with your Mac. You also need to be signed in on that Mac to that Apple ID in Messages.

Text Message Forwarding -- should show your Mac

If these are correct, on Mac sign out of Messages and sign back in.

If they are not correct on your phone, check at top of the Messages portion inside Settings, iMessage should be toggled on. If it is, toggle it off, then on again. On Mac log out of Messages and then sign back in. It should show up in the above two places in the phone settings. Forwarding has to show it or the forwarded messages won't come to the Mac, they are actually "forwarded" to the Mac from the phone.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 12:37 PM in response to Imagine

On your phone, go to Settings, scroll way down to Messages.

Send & Receive -- should show your phone number and an Apple ID associated with your Mac. You also need to be signed in on that Mac to that Apple ID in Messages.

Text Message Forwarding -- should show your Mac

If these are correct, on Mac sign out of Messages and sign back in.

If they are not correct on your phone, check at top of the Messages portion inside Settings, iMessage should be toggled on. If it is, toggle it off, then on again. On Mac log out of Messages and then sign back in. It should show up in the above two places in the phone settings. Forwarding has to show it or the forwarded messages won't come to the Mac, they are actually "forwarded" to the Mac from the phone.

Jan 15, 2021 1:39 PM in response to Imagine

You should not lose anything by signing out and in. (That basically happens overtime you shut down or restart your machine, for instance.)

If Messages is working again properly on both the Mac and phone, no need to log out and in, however.

The forwarding being activated on the phone is important to get the full functionality.

If there is a period of time when the messages were not being forwarded properly to the Mac, those may never show up on the Mac for that period of time.

Messages stopped receiving messages...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.