Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay to HomePod After Setting as Home Theater

I set up my HomePod and Apple TV as a Home Theater, which is going great! However there are times when I just want to continue what’s playing on my iPhone directly to HomePod, but it seems it always has to go through Apple TV now. I don’t see the HomePod as a stand-alone device anymore. Is this the expected behavior? It seems like a waste of energy to always have to use my Apple TV and TV when all I want is to play music.

HomePod, 14

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 7:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 8:14 PM

This is why I disabled home theatre. It’s stuck all merged with Apple TV. This new software works on last used. I have automations each day to play music to all HomePods, not great when later on in the day I’d like to hear my audiobook on just one. My workaround is to go to my old iPad which I thankfully left on iOS 12 and I play music to one HomePod to get them unlinked.

You can disable home theatre on your Apple TV in settings - audio - set the default speakers back to your TV Speakers. When you go to Apple TV next time just choose your HomePods via control Center because home theatre disables that option or the swipe down to Audio option

Please submit feedback, I did. It’s incredibly annoying.

Feedback - HomePod - Apple

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2021 8:14 PM in response to Stormblade016

This is why I disabled home theatre. It’s stuck all merged with Apple TV. This new software works on last used. I have automations each day to play music to all HomePods, not great when later on in the day I’d like to hear my audiobook on just one. My workaround is to go to my old iPad which I thankfully left on iOS 12 and I play music to one HomePod to get them unlinked.

You can disable home theatre on your Apple TV in settings - audio - set the default speakers back to your TV Speakers. When you go to Apple TV next time just choose your HomePods via control Center because home theatre disables that option or the swipe down to Audio option

Please submit feedback, I did. It’s incredibly annoying.

Feedback - HomePod - Apple

Airplay to HomePod After Setting as Home Theater

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.