Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard randomly decides to type symbols as if options key was pressed

This Macbook Air 2015 randomly decides to type symbols instead of letters, as if the options key was activated. Also the letter e caused strange light effects on the desktop...

I searched the net for solutions, and did the reset in Accessibility and PRAM resets and that sometimes I did resolve it temporarily.

But it goes back to acting up, same pattern.

Can I conclude thst the keyboard itself needs replacement, (which is something I can do, have done before) Since that is a bit of a pain given they are now rivetted in, I want to make sure that it is not something more simple, like a setting. Using an external keyboard, it types normally...even while the internal one keep typing symbols. I would say the keyboard is somehow screwed up....hardware wise, right?

MacBook

Posted on Jan 15, 2021 8:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 6:23 AM

Hey there jurgenkoppen,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your MacBook Air keyboard typing unexpected symbols intermittently, and we'd like to see if we can help.

Since the issue is resolved when using an external keyboard, this does indicate there's likely a hardware issue with the internal keyboard on your MacBook Air. With that in mind, learn more about having your Mac serviced here: Mac Service and Repair

To explore any available service options, reach out here: Get Support

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 6:23 AM in response to jurgenkoppen

Hey there jurgenkoppen,

We understand you're experiencing an issue with your MacBook Air keyboard typing unexpected symbols intermittently, and we'd like to see if we can help.

Since the issue is resolved when using an external keyboard, this does indicate there's likely a hardware issue with the internal keyboard on your MacBook Air. With that in mind, learn more about having your Mac serviced here: Mac Service and Repair

To explore any available service options, reach out here: Get Support

Regards.

Keyboard randomly decides to type symbols as if options key was pressed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.