Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook not starting

Hello, I installed an antivirus program (not sure if it’s the root cause) then when I wanted to continue working everything froze so I force shut it but now the MacBook doesn’t turn on at all. Any advice please?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 2:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 5:39 PM

Thank you for posting here in Apple Support Communities, katerina207.

We understand that you've been unable to turn on your Mac computer since installing an antivirus program, and we'd be happy to help. To start, we recommend that you give the troubleshooting steps within the following resource a try: If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support

If the steps in that resource does not help, next, we recommend that you reset the System Management Controller (SMC). Here's how: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Please keep the community posted on the results.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 5:39 PM in response to katerina207

Thank you for posting here in Apple Support Communities, katerina207.

We understand that you've been unable to turn on your Mac computer since installing an antivirus program, and we'd be happy to help. To start, we recommend that you give the troubleshooting steps within the following resource a try: If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support

If the steps in that resource does not help, next, we recommend that you reset the System Management Controller (SMC). Here's how: How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Please keep the community posted on the results.

Cheers!

Jan 19, 2021 11:34 AM in response to katerina207

katerina207 Said:

"Hello, thank you for coming back to me! At the end, I managed to turn on my Mac computer but still faced a lot of freezing of apps so i uninstalled the antivirus app and not everything is running smoothly again. Cheers, Kate"

-------

Keep Security Software Off:

Take this as a learning experience, knowing to keep Security Software off of you Apple devices. Security Software just gets in the way on an Apple device, and this is a pure example of how and why. If you uninstall it, use the uninstallers, getting it from none other than the manufacturer. Likely, it was overtaking processes, consistently scanning in the background, as you were running your Mac.

MacBook not starting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.