Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can’t turn on some iMessage apps.

There’s some iMessage apps I want to turn on, but they’re turned off and I can’t turn them back on.

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 10:55 AM

Hey there jeremynwest,

Thanks for checking out those steps. However, you should still be able to complete those for most built-in apps.

If they didn't help, we'd recommend making sure restrictions are disabled as that could be affecting things. Go to: Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions

For more info on Screen Time, check this out: Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you still experience issues afterwards, reach out to Apple Support directly using this link: Get Support

Take care!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 10:55 AM in response to jeremyw013

Hey there jeremynwest,

Thanks for checking out those steps. However, you should still be able to complete those for most built-in apps.

If they didn't help, we'd recommend making sure restrictions are disabled as that could be affecting things. Go to: Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions

For more info on Screen Time, check this out: Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you still experience issues afterwards, reach out to Apple Support directly using this link: Get Support

Take care!

Jan 19, 2021 12:51 PM in response to jeremyw013

Hey there jeremynwest,

We understand there are a few iMessage apps that can't be turned back on. We'll be happy to help.

To troubleshoot this, we'd recommend the same steps as normal app. You can find the steps here: If an app unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open

This will guide you through a few things like restarting, updating apps, and reinstalling them.

Note that if reinstalling does not work, you might need to delete the app completely instead of only offloading as mentioned in the article.

Let us know how that goes or if you have any questions. Cheers!

I can’t turn on some iMessage apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.