Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil Charging

I need a heavy duty case on my new iPad (8th Gen.) and it blocks the Apple Pencil charging connection. Is there any other way to charge pencils, like the Apple Watch charger (my wife has one)?

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 4:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 6:32 PM

On an 8th gen the Apple pencil is charged via the iPad’s own charging port. The connector on the side of the 8th gen iPad is for the keyboard not the Apple Pencil.

The iPad’s charging port should be accessible for both the charging cable for the iPad and the Apple Pencil.

Otherwise as mentioned, you can use the included adapter to connect the pencil to the iPads lightning cable and charger to charge.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2021 6:32 PM in response to earlbob954

On an 8th gen the Apple pencil is charged via the iPad’s own charging port. The connector on the side of the 8th gen iPad is for the keyboard not the Apple Pencil.

The iPad’s charging port should be accessible for both the charging cable for the iPad and the Apple Pencil.

Otherwise as mentioned, you can use the included adapter to connect the pencil to the iPads lightning cable and charger to charge.

Jan 18, 2021 2:11 AM in response to earlbob954

Some heavy duty cases can partially obstruct the iPad Lightning port - which will interfere with both Pairing of the Pencil (which will be necessary if Bluetooth is ever disabled - or if the iPad is restarted) and charging of the Pencil directly from the iPad.

The alternative charging method is to use the inline charging adapter that was included in the cardboard box/packaging in which the Pencil was supplied - connecting the Pencil to the iPad Power Adapter. However, this will not resolve the issue of connecting the Pencil to iPad when pairing.

Apple Pencil Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.