You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change iCloud Apple ID a tech gave to me that does not match Apple ID on my phone

Trying to change iCloud Apple ID tech used for me on my iPad to my actual Apple ID keeps telling me my new Apple ID is already taken

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 5:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 4:55 AM

If you are attempting to setup a recently reset iPad from the “Hello” page, do not attempt to create a new AppleID. If you do, and the AppleID already exists, you will see this error.

Instead, if you have chosen to set-up as new, do not create a new AppleID; just sign-in to iCloud with your existing AppleID.

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2021 4:55 AM in response to MrBJones

If you are attempting to setup a recently reset iPad from the “Hello” page, do not attempt to create a new AppleID. If you do, and the AppleID already exists, you will see this error.

Instead, if you have chosen to set-up as new, do not create a new AppleID; just sign-in to iCloud with your existing AppleID.

Set up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

Change iCloud Apple ID a tech gave to me that does not match Apple ID on my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.