Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External optical drive not recognized big sur update

After update to Big Sur external USB optical drive not working. The drive sounds like it tries to work and keeps stopping. I have verified drive works on an other computer and have tried many different DVDs and CDs but they dont show up on MacBook Air. I tried resetting laptop and SMC and no luck. I also tried fixing via disk utility but also didnt work. Anyone have any ideas? Is this common during OS updates?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2021 9:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 6:39 AM

If it starts spinning up, but then spins down and repeats that process, it may not be getting enough power from the USB port. Almost all external DVD/CD drives I have purchased come with a Y-cable to get power from two USB ports, and data from one of them.

When it asks for too much current, the bus will shut down the port, causing it to spin down, then the port it reset and the cycle repeats.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 6:39 AM in response to oj726

If it starts spinning up, but then spins down and repeats that process, it may not be getting enough power from the USB port. Almost all external DVD/CD drives I have purchased come with a Y-cable to get power from two USB ports, and data from one of them.

When it asks for too much current, the bus will shut down the port, causing it to spin down, then the port it reset and the cycle repeats.

External optical drive not recognized big sur update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.