Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copy photos library fails with "library already exists"

OS is catalina 10.15.7

Until yesterday I had my archive photos library on an APFS Formatted external drive.

So - I read that Macos Extended Journaled is faster for spinning disks than APFS. So I've successfully copied the library to a second external drive (already formatted MacOS extended journaled).

Reformatted the archive drive to MacOS extended (journaled) and am now failing to copy the library back. I get

"The operation can't be completed because an item with the name PhotosArchive.photoslibrary already exists."

This is after copying 680GB of a 790GB library. Clicking OK removes the library copied so far.

Ignore ownership is checked on both drives (But I only set this after the first time the copy failed. Second copy failed in exactly the same way after setting ignore ownership. Both drives are directly connected (no network). Niether has been used for time machine.

Any ideas?

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 1:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 1:50 AM

That is a good plan, Tony. Did it succeed?

If the error message appears after copying a large amount of of the library, it might be an internal file in the package that is causing the trouble. Then it helps to copy the library in pieces, as described here:

How to avoid the Error -36 when copying a Photos Library - Apple Community

You could also copy the library with cloning software, like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 1:50 AM in response to TonyCollinet

That is a good plan, Tony. Did it succeed?

If the error message appears after copying a large amount of of the library, it might be an internal file in the package that is causing the trouble. Then it helps to copy the library in pieces, as described here:

How to avoid the Error -36 when copying a Photos Library - Apple Community

You could also copy the library with cloning software, like Carbon Copy Cloner.

Jan 18, 2021 6:55 AM in response to TonyCollinet

I have twice had a similar (don't remember the error message) error at the very and of a huge Photos library copy.

At first I suspected it might relate to a tilde "~" (last low-ASCII) character in the library filename but that didn't seem to explain it.

Then I suspected that somehow copying the system library might explain the error when some files were in use.

So in my last copy I made a dummy system library, rebooted, and then successfully copied the actual library.

copy photos library fails with "library already exists"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.