Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't delete photos from mac

I recently upgraded to a new MacBook Pro with the M1 Chip and Big Sur. I can't delete photos from the photo app. Every time I select a photo or series of photos and delete, it goes through the process but doesn't delete the photo (and no "recently deleted" folder is visible). The photo still show in the library and my photo stream. No photos imported from my iPhone or iPad (all running the latest iOS software) can be deleted from my Mac. Even photos I deleted from my devices show up on my Mac and can't be deleted. I reinstalled MacOS, restarted my computer in Safe Mode, and repaired the photos library. Nothing worked. I don't know if there's a problem with the Photos app or if photos imported from my iPhone and iPad can't be deleted on my Mac but this is going to be a problem down the line. I contacted Apple for support and they can't seem to figure out what's going on. I don't know f this a glitch in the system or what but I need help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 9:12 PM

Have a look at Photos Help (choose Help from within the Photos App), search for "delete." Deleting images is more complicated than it used to be, note that in some instances COMMAND-Delete is what you need, not just the Delete key:

Delete photos and videos

1. In the Photos app on your Mac, select the items you want to delete.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Delete selected photos and videos in Days view: Press Delete, then click Delete. The selected items are deleted from your library and placed in the Recently Deleted album.
    • Delete photos and videos from an album, but not from your library: Press Delete. The selected items are deleted from the album only and remain your library.
    • Delete photos and videos from a Smart Album (for example, Last Import, Favorites, or Videos): Press Command-Delete. The selected items are deleted from your library and placed in the Recently Deleted album.
    • Delete photos and videos and then permanently remove them from the Recently Deleted album: Press Command-Delete, then open the Recently Deleted album. Select the items you want to delete permanently, click Delete, then click OK.

If your Library is not behaving as it should, make a safe copy of it and then try to repair the original as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204967

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2021 9:12 PM in response to bamarina

Have a look at Photos Help (choose Help from within the Photos App), search for "delete." Deleting images is more complicated than it used to be, note that in some instances COMMAND-Delete is what you need, not just the Delete key:

Delete photos and videos

1. In the Photos app on your Mac, select the items you want to delete.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Delete selected photos and videos in Days view: Press Delete, then click Delete. The selected items are deleted from your library and placed in the Recently Deleted album.
    • Delete photos and videos from an album, but not from your library: Press Delete. The selected items are deleted from the album only and remain your library.
    • Delete photos and videos from a Smart Album (for example, Last Import, Favorites, or Videos): Press Command-Delete. The selected items are deleted from your library and placed in the Recently Deleted album.
    • Delete photos and videos and then permanently remove them from the Recently Deleted album: Press Command-Delete, then open the Recently Deleted album. Select the items you want to delete permanently, click Delete, then click OK.

If your Library is not behaving as it should, make a safe copy of it and then try to repair the original as described here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204967

can't delete photos from mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.