You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore backup grey out

My iPhone 6s got thrown out to the pool due to strong wind (in CA). I just got a brand new iPhone SE (2nd generation) BUT I can't restore backup from my MAC.

iPhone SE

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 10:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 10:50 PM

Hey jwu1025!

Good question. I think this article, including the related links in it should cover most of that that issue:

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203271

Also, I know that usually if “Restore Backup” or “Backup Now” is greyed out, it typically means the phone is busy, perhaps in the process of a doing a backup, or in the process of restoring a backup already.

If that’s the case, does restarting both the Mac and iPhone, (with iPhone disconnected), then re-connecting and trying again help?

There can be other causes though, as in the article and otherwise.

Knowing the current OS and Mac model and iOS version and iPhone model may help as well, but hope one of those steps helps!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 18, 2021 10:50 PM in response to jwu1025

Hey jwu1025!

Good question. I think this article, including the related links in it should cover most of that that issue:

If you can't back up your iOS or iPadOS device to a computer or restore it from a backup:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203271

Also, I know that usually if “Restore Backup” or “Backup Now” is greyed out, it typically means the phone is busy, perhaps in the process of a doing a backup, or in the process of restoring a backup already.

If that’s the case, does restarting both the Mac and iPhone, (with iPhone disconnected), then re-connecting and trying again help?

There can be other causes though, as in the article and otherwise.

Knowing the current OS and Mac model and iOS version and iPhone model may help as well, but hope one of those steps helps!

restore backup grey out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.