Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are some reasons for not upgrading Catalina?

I never upgraded Catalina to the next OS version. I can't remember why, but it seems to me that I was afraid that there were certain possible problems of doing that possibly relating to the age and model of my computer. Anyway, I have an iMac (27-inch late 2013 model, model identifier iMac14,2)

Are there any reasons for not upgrading to the next software version?

Posted on Jan 18, 2021 11:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 2:55 AM

Yes, even if one wanted to get Big Sur - this machine does not qualify for it. The iMac 2014 is oldest that can upgrade to Big Sur

6 replies

Jan 19, 2021 2:54 AM in response to Niku

Certain models of varying wider range than initially thought

had or have an issue with hardware in portable Macs that

should support Big Sur. ~ I'd hold back awhile; even Macs

that ship with Big Sur were not immune to some bugs.

One of those affects the built-in camera.

(Read through the 'Big Sur' ASC area.)

At present, I've no Macs that could run Big Sur. Only two

that could run Catalina; closest is one on Mojave 10.14.6.

Other is on older macOS, and hardware won't go further.

Jan 19, 2021 6:18 AM in response to Niku

For what it’s worth I also have a late 2013 iMac 27 14,2 and have been running Catalina on it since day one of Catalina’s release over a year ago. No problems whatsoever. There will always be people who have issues with any version of macOS, many times caused by user action or misunderstanding of how things work.

Note that the earlier responses to your question were about Big Sur, not Catalina. Catalina is as far as we can go with our 2013 iMacs, as they don’t support Big Sur. 🕶

Jan 19, 2021 2:00 PM in response to tbirdvet

I was worried until I saw the facts: Oh, they're gone. I had posted the number of apps that will/will not comply with "Big Sur," but that post is now missing. Anyway, the number of apps that are NOT compatible with Big Sur is insignificant. Nothing to worry about. My only "problem" is in deleting all of the apps that I don't need and probably never did. They number in the hundreds.

What are some reasons for not upgrading Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.