Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install mac os on new hard drive?

So my iMac is old, and the hard drive is failing. So I've taken out the 2tb 7200rpm 3.5inch hdd and i was going to put in my 1tb 2.5 inch hdd, but my external hard drive enclosure snapped before i had the chance to install mac os x on it.

The 20 inch iMac is from early 2008

core 2 duo 2.66GHz

6GB RAM

was running el capitan

So I put my new hard drive into my mac and every time I try to load recovery mode, command r, shift command r, option command r, shift option command r, d, c, command d, option d, I've tried loads of combinations for things I've seen online to try and format the hard drive while in the mac as if i load it normally I just get a flashing question mark on a folder in the centre of the screen. Anyone know what I can do to install Mac OS back onto my mac without taking it apart again to take the hard drive out?

I don't think I can do internet recovery either because it's too old of a machine. Any help would be much appreciated.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 2:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 6:57 AM

If one can get access to another computer that can run El Capitan it is possible to Create A Bootable Installer from this Apple Page. Just be certain to only use Safari here and in next page as FF / Chrome will not work. Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Apps Store / Apple Store and allow downloading El Capitan.

Once that is done connect the Installer to Offending ( Blank ) computer using the USB Keyboard and USB Mouse and Boot holding the Option key. It will present much like an internal Recovery Mode for options to choose from. Just us Disk Utilities to Partition and Format the new drive as required for El Captain ( HFS Journaled and GUID Partition Map )

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2021 6:57 AM in response to TMoore311

If one can get access to another computer that can run El Capitan it is possible to Create A Bootable Installer from this Apple Page. Just be certain to only use Safari here and in next page as FF / Chrome will not work. Safari will open a redirect and open the Apple Apps Store / Apple Store and allow downloading El Capitan.

Once that is done connect the Installer to Offending ( Blank ) computer using the USB Keyboard and USB Mouse and Boot holding the Option key. It will present much like an internal Recovery Mode for options to choose from. Just us Disk Utilities to Partition and Format the new drive as required for El Captain ( HFS Journaled and GUID Partition Map )

Jan 19, 2021 12:44 PM in response to PRP_53

i've discovered that when i hold down the option key, the question mark won't come up, but the screen will just stay a blank white... I'm pretty sure I've made a boot installer with el capitan on it now, the thing is, I also used to have a MacBook pro 2011 and that came with a mac os x install disk starting at lion i believe, i assume that would also work, i just can't figure out how to get to where i need to get to install the os and format the new drive.

How to install mac os on new hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.