Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to hide an entire album or albums WITHIN the hidden album?

The hidden album feature is nice but it appears only individual photos can be added to this folder not entire folders of photos. Is this the case?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 3:18 AM

The hidden album has a flat structure. But you can create a structured Hidden album with smart albums and albums.

Any smart album with the rule "Photo is hidden" will show the hidden photos matching the constraints of the smart album, even if the Hidden Album is hidden. I cannot test this for the system version given in your signature "macOS 10.13".

But on macOS 10.14 Mojave or newer the following is working well for me. For example, in Photos 6 on Mojave I am adding all photos I am planning to hide to an album. For example, the original versions of edited photos or alternate edits are hidden in an album "Originals saved", or other albums are containing the photos sent to me by friends and family.

Once the photos have been added to these albums, I am hiding the photos.

For the albums, where I want to be able to see the hidden photos I am creating an accompanying smart album, like this:

This smart album is showing all hidden photos from the "OriginalsSaved" album, even if I have hidden the Hidden Album with the command "View > Hide Hidden Photo Album".

Or, to see all Hidden photos from a certain date range we can use a "Date Captured is in the range ..." rule or tag the photos with keywords and use a keyword rule.

I am keeping such an album for each person who is regularly sending me photos. These custom Hidden albums are collected in a subfolder, where I can quickly find them. And photos which I want to keep out of sight can be excluded from all smart albums, by taking care that the constraints do not include them. Use a keyword "never_show" or similar and add a constraint "keyword does not include "never_show".

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 3:18 AM in response to gaberelli

The hidden album has a flat structure. But you can create a structured Hidden album with smart albums and albums.

Any smart album with the rule "Photo is hidden" will show the hidden photos matching the constraints of the smart album, even if the Hidden Album is hidden. I cannot test this for the system version given in your signature "macOS 10.13".

But on macOS 10.14 Mojave or newer the following is working well for me. For example, in Photos 6 on Mojave I am adding all photos I am planning to hide to an album. For example, the original versions of edited photos or alternate edits are hidden in an album "Originals saved", or other albums are containing the photos sent to me by friends and family.

Once the photos have been added to these albums, I am hiding the photos.

For the albums, where I want to be able to see the hidden photos I am creating an accompanying smart album, like this:

This smart album is showing all hidden photos from the "OriginalsSaved" album, even if I have hidden the Hidden Album with the command "View > Hide Hidden Photo Album".

Or, to see all Hidden photos from a certain date range we can use a "Date Captured is in the range ..." rule or tag the photos with keywords and use a keyword rule.

I am keeping such an album for each person who is regularly sending me photos. These custom Hidden albums are collected in a subfolder, where I can quickly find them. And photos which I want to keep out of sight can be excluded from all smart albums, by taking care that the constraints do not include them. Use a keyword "never_show" or similar and add a constraint "keyword does not include "never_show".

Is it possible to hide an entire album or albums WITHIN the hidden album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.