Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I recover a photo deleted in Photos on my MacBook Pro?

Hi,

How do I recover photos that I deleted in Photos on my MacBook Pro? I am using MacOS Big Sur 11.1.

It used to be easy because in there was a a Trash or Recently Deleted folder that I would just click on and all my deleted pictures were there for a finite period of time. That option is no longer there (or, at least, I can't find it) and the undo button is greyed out.

Hope someone can help. Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 1:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 3:00 PM

No, it is the same functionality in Catalina.

In an album, the default is remove from album. To actually delete the image, you need to hold the cmd key down as well.

Or you can delete as normal in the library views, without the CMD key.

13 replies

Jan 19, 2021 2:25 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Hi,

That is a good question! How can I tell?

The way I've always done it is by highlighting the picture and clicking the 'delete' button. In the past that worked and it would delete the photo and then it would show up in the side bar under 'recently deleted'. That has not been happening for quite a long time (since I haven't had the 'recently deleted' folder in the side bar) so has that changed? If I hit the 'delete' button does it now only remove it from the album? I looked to see if there were options to 'move to trash' and I don't see that. Usually, to remove it only from the album (not deleting it), I go under image and then select 'remove from album' which works fine. Can you clarify how to delete a photo (if, in fact, the 'delete button' does not delete it)? Thank you!

Jan 19, 2021 3:01 PM in response to Russ New Boy

Yes! The functionality seems to have changed and I have been unknowingly removing pictures from the album instead of deleting them as I had intended by using the 'delete button'.

When I use click the command and delete button at the same time it deletes the photo and the side bar now shows the 'Recently Deleted' I had been missing.

Why did they do that???

Thank you all for helping me resolve this issue! I appreciate the help.

Jan 19, 2021 3:08 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Yes, the functionality seems to have switched some time ago but I'm not sure at which version. I just thought they eliminated it!

That is very confusing to have different methods of deleting depending on where you are in Photos - in album view you have to click the 'command' and 'delete' button to delete something and in library view you simply hit the 'delete' button to delete it. I'm glad you told me that.

Thanks again for the help!

Jan 19, 2021 4:20 PM in response to Roserayne

I think the reason - you can have one photo in multiple albums. If the default was to delete the image, then it would also be deleted from all the other albums. This might not be what was intended.

If you want to delete from the library (remove the image completely) - then veiw it and delete it from the library.

If you are interested in the album, then view it from there, but accept that the default will be to only remove it from there, not delete it from the library.

How do I recover a photo deleted in Photos on my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.