Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Connect Using SSL

Mail on iphone suddenly would not receive now cant set it up - keep getting message Cannot Connect Using SSL

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 10:29 PM

Thank you , but I dont believe I have any such software on my phone, I changed nothing and suddenly started getting the message it could not download mail and when I try to set up mail it now gives me the SSL message

7 replies

Jan 19, 2021 10:38 PM in response to MAlex14

MAlex14 Said:

"Cannot Connect Using SSL: Thank you , but I dont believe I have any such software on my phone, I changed nothing and suddenly started getting the message it could not download mail and when I try to set up mail it now gives me the SSL message"

-------

You are welcome.

Troubleshooting this:

• New App Password:

See what happens when you remove the address, and then add it back. If you were to add it back, you may need an App Password. Contact your eMail provider, if you are uncertain as how to do so.

• Another iOS Device:

Are you able to log in using another device? See if you get this error logging into it on another device - particularly an iOS device.

• VPN Connections:

Are you connecting to this on your own home network? If it is school or work that you are using, then a VPN may be what is being used here.

• Restore from a Backup:

Have any backups of this iPhone? If so, restore from it.

• Reset your Router:

Your Router would be setting this up, overruling connectivity.

Jan 19, 2021 7:21 PM in response to MAlex14

MAlex14 Said:

"Cannot Connect Using SSL: Mail on iphone suddenly would not receive now cant set it up - keep getting message Cannot Connect Using SSL"

-------

SSL is Encryption:

You are getting this message because you are trying to connect using encryption. So, if connected to an encrypted (secure) connection, then disconnect from it. Such connections come from Security Software. So, remove Security Software from your iPhone. Simply, hold you finger in its icon, and click the "X" on the top-right corner of it.

Jan 20, 2021 10:25 PM in response to MAlex14

MAlex14 Said:

"Thanks for all the suggestions, I was about to restore from a back up when all of a sudden it just started working - very strange - when I tried to log into webmail on my providers page I got a warning that the site was not secure and the certificate is not valid[...]"

-------

Securing this:

So it has been restored, correct? You are getting this message, due to things being insecure. I recommend:

1. Updating: your Mac
  2. Scanning: for Malware
  3. Clearing: Temporary Internet Files:

In Depth:

A. Updating your Mac:

So, check for updates, update your Mac, and then restart it.

B. Scanning for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malwarebytes is made by longtime users of these forums, and is the only security software safe to use on a Mac, as it does not get in the way. So, once removed from the quarantine, uninstall Malwarebytes, if desired.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

C. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Boot into Safe Mode and then Clear your Temporary Internet Files of Safari:

• Booting into Safe Mode:

[hold down shift upon boot until the login screen appears]. See if this is still an issue. Safe Mode lets items run as default, without changes whatsoever. That is possible because caches of your macOS are temporarily disabled while in Safe Mode.

• Clearing your Temporary Internet Files (Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

Cookies perform remembrance of certain site-entered data. Whereas Cache keeps a snapshot of the last time you visited a site.  Use this Link: Clearing History and Cache - Apple Communities

Jan 20, 2021 8:46 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was about to restore from a back up when all of a sudden it just started working - very strange - when I tried to log into webmail on my providers page I got a warning that the site was not secure and the certificate is not valid -and that is still happening but my actual mail works. It states this may happens when an attacker has compromised your connection.

Strange since on my PC the same site works.

At least my mail is working so I am pleased, - thanks again for all the suggestions, which I will refer to if needed.

Cannot Connect Using SSL

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.