Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to get new refurbished iPad 3rd gen .to fully work in safari.

I just got a new refurbished iPad 3rd gen. I am having problems upgrading to 9.3.6 from 9.3.5, the wheel just continues to spin and spin. Otherwise the iPad seems to work fine except when i was asked to choose a browser so I choose safari and it said it was not compatible. So, I went straight to safari and when I go to certain sites on safari like PayPal to pay my bill, it won’t let me. And, When I go to the bank, it originally told me that it’s not compatible with my iPad so I tried to upgrade the iOS and it wouldn’t. Now when I open the bank (chase) the progression wheel keeps spinning. Can you please advise?

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 9:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 10:54 PM

This is a very old iPad model ( nearly 9-years old, now ).

I would stop trying to use that well over 4-year old default iOS Safari Web browser as it is too old, not secure and not safe to use to access the Internet, any longer.

There are virtually NO MORE third party Web browsers left for 8-10 year old iPads!

Available and more popular third party Web browser choices are pretty much GONE, now.

Here's is the ONLY third party Web browser, I recommend using on very old iOS devices, that has been newly created, at its start, by its lone developer, approx. 1 year, ago, specifically to run on older iOS devices all the way back to the beginning of iOS 9 and its developer has since released quite a few major and minor browser updates throughout the 2020 year, making this Web Browser as feature rich as possible, while expanding its usefulness to both old and new iOS/iPadOS versions/devices, while still optimising its code to perform its best on very old iPad models.

Pay for and install this third party Web browser, from the iOS App Store, called Alook browser.

Tap the iOS App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/alook-browser-2x-speed/id1261944766

My family still uses older, nearly 9 and 10-year old iPad 2 and 3 models and have had every one of them pay for and download this third party Web browser on all of their older iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

I just tested this Web browser for my local banking Website on my own iPad 2 and I was able to login with my bank user ID and password and view my accounts and initiate an online transaction with no issues.

Give this third party Web Browser a try.

For any other apps, Apple ended support for 8-10 year old iPads, at least, over 3 years, ago.

The internal hardware in that iPad is too old, too underpowred and completely incompatible with all later versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Virtually, all third party iOS app developers ended/stopped/abandoned supporting these old iPads over two years, ago.

There are virtually, NO MORE older iOS 9 or 10 compatible apps available from the Apple iOS App Store, any longer.

There are also, virtually, NO MORE popular or useful apps or games for these old iPads, any longer!

Especially multi-player games as game makers push for upgrade compatibility for best interactive user and cross device gameplay.

There is one last thing you can try/attempt, if you need an older version of an app.

If you own much newer iOS device that can run either iOS 12 and.or iOS/iPadOS 13 and later, you can install the most recent app/s onto that more recent iOS device.

Then go back to your older iPad, open the iOS App Store, go to the Purchases section of the store app, search for the app/s you wish to try and download to that older iPad and see if an older version of the app is allowed to be downloaded/installed to that older iPad.

These newer iOS/iPadOS devices must use your same Apple ID user account and password.

Failing that OR IF NO joy, then there is nothing more to be

Simply put, that 3rd gen iPad is too old and obsolete now.

Sorry, but this is the reality for ALL nearly 9-10-year old AND OLDER iOS devices now. Especially going into 2021!

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, used iPad models, from better known, trusted sources, like other Apple product/device retailers/resellers locally or online, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Best of Luck to You!

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 10:54 PM in response to maggiesathrum

This is a very old iPad model ( nearly 9-years old, now ).

I would stop trying to use that well over 4-year old default iOS Safari Web browser as it is too old, not secure and not safe to use to access the Internet, any longer.

There are virtually NO MORE third party Web browsers left for 8-10 year old iPads!

Available and more popular third party Web browser choices are pretty much GONE, now.

Here's is the ONLY third party Web browser, I recommend using on very old iOS devices, that has been newly created, at its start, by its lone developer, approx. 1 year, ago, specifically to run on older iOS devices all the way back to the beginning of iOS 9 and its developer has since released quite a few major and minor browser updates throughout the 2020 year, making this Web Browser as feature rich as possible, while expanding its usefulness to both old and new iOS/iPadOS versions/devices, while still optimising its code to perform its best on very old iPad models.

Pay for and install this third party Web browser, from the iOS App Store, called Alook browser.

Tap the iOS App Store link below.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/alook-browser-2x-speed/id1261944766

My family still uses older, nearly 9 and 10-year old iPad 2 and 3 models and have had every one of them pay for and download this third party Web browser on all of their older iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

I just tested this Web browser for my local banking Website on my own iPad 2 and I was able to login with my bank user ID and password and view my accounts and initiate an online transaction with no issues.

Give this third party Web Browser a try.

For any other apps, Apple ended support for 8-10 year old iPads, at least, over 3 years, ago.

The internal hardware in that iPad is too old, too underpowred and completely incompatible with all later versions of iOS/iPadOS.

Virtually, all third party iOS app developers ended/stopped/abandoned supporting these old iPads over two years, ago.

There are virtually, NO MORE older iOS 9 or 10 compatible apps available from the Apple iOS App Store, any longer.

There are also, virtually, NO MORE popular or useful apps or games for these old iPads, any longer!

Especially multi-player games as game makers push for upgrade compatibility for best interactive user and cross device gameplay.

There is one last thing you can try/attempt, if you need an older version of an app.

If you own much newer iOS device that can run either iOS 12 and.or iOS/iPadOS 13 and later, you can install the most recent app/s onto that more recent iOS device.

Then go back to your older iPad, open the iOS App Store, go to the Purchases section of the store app, search for the app/s you wish to try and download to that older iPad and see if an older version of the app is allowed to be downloaded/installed to that older iPad.

These newer iOS/iPadOS devices must use your same Apple ID user account and password.

Failing that OR IF NO joy, then there is nothing more to be

Simply put, that 3rd gen iPad is too old and obsolete now.

Sorry, but this is the reality for ALL nearly 9-10-year old AND OLDER iOS devices now. Especially going into 2021!

If you need/want an iPad with an up to date iPadOS with access to current, updated apps, then you really need to seriously consider a new iPad model OR a much, MUCH “newer” and less expensive, used iPad models, from better known, trusted sources, like other Apple product/device retailers/resellers locally or online, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

There are plenty of newer, older iPad models that can run the latest, current versions of iPadOS.

Best of Luck to You!

Jan 23, 2021 6:01 AM in response to maggiesathrum

maggiesathrum wrote:

Hello again, another question : ). With the iPad, when you buy one with cellular you get the benefits of getting phone services, is there any other benefits with cellular and is it really necessary?
also
what Refurbished or renewed MacBook laptop would you suggest me buying?

A potential principal consideration of choosing a Cellular model of iPad is the inclusion of GPS.

WiFi Only models of iPad do not have GPS positioning capability. Many buyers are understandably annoyed and disappointed to discover this limitation after purchase, having chosen the cheaper WiFi Only model of iPad. Whether this is important to you or not - only you can decide. This decision may significantly impact use of some Apps - in particular mapping and other functions that require precise location data.

Returning directly to Cellular capabilities...

An iPad, whether a Cellular model or not, is not capable of directly accessing Cellular Voice or SMS/MMS Messaging features. An iPad with either WiFi or Cellular connectivity alone can only access IP-data services.

However, If paired with an iPhone, the capabilities of iPad significantly broaden to include access to Cellular Voice and Messaging services of the associated iPhone - relayed to the iPad over WiFi using Apple’s continuity features.

More information about Continuity and the relevant Cellular services can be found here:

Continuity

Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Apple Watch – Apple Support

SMS/MMS Messaging

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

WiFi Calling

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling – Apple Support

When paired with an iPhone - and the iPad correctly configured - the iPad FaceTime App provides access to Cellular Voice Calling features - whilst Messages supports SMS/MMS messaging services.

So, in conclusion, it is possible to configure WiFi Calling service for your iPad if you also have an iPhone. After WiFi Calling is enabled and configured on both devices, your iPad can make and receive cellular calls independently of your iPhone whilst connected to a WiFi network.

I hope this additional clarification proves to be helpful - if only in improving your understanding of the iPad capabilities.

Jan 21, 2021 4:25 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you so much, I didn’t notice this was such an older model when I bought. I was kind of in a hurry when I purchased. I will return and get a newer model. Thx again..

another question. I have a MacBook and the files on the mb were created in quark, word, excel (ms office) and I need to either purchase a new MacBook or iPad because of age etc and my question is- can I get a iPad that will open these files and can I also create new files with an iPad or do I need to get a MacBook also. I don’t do a lot on the MacBook anymore so I’m thinking of just purchasing the iPad since from what I’ve seen they are moving more to being able to create documents etc. I usually just do buying , searching, and some photo editing and creating files and will also be using quickbooks soon. What would you suggest I buy. Preferably refurbished due to finances. I was thinking either iPad Pro or iPad Air. Please advise. Thanks, maggie

Jan 22, 2021 1:29 AM in response to maggiesathrum

Let's start with your question about Quark Xpress files and MS O

There is MS Office version for iOS, so opening MS Office files should NOT be an issue on an iPad.

You just need to find a way to get them to the iPad, like a flash drive or portable external SSD drive saved from the Mac, first.

Depending on which model iPad, to use any external drives with iOS devices on iOS/iPadOS needs an additional Apple adapter and the external drive be formatted with a Mac either in Apple's native Mac computer format, Fat32 or ExFAT code formats before saving data from the Mac to the USB flash drive or portable SSD.

If the Quark Xpress files are native program format files there are no apps for iOS that support Quark Xpress and therefore no way to open these files on an iPad.

I am also NOT sure about any .eps files, either. Although Adobe's newest Photoshop and Illustrator for iPadOS maybe able to open just the .eps files, but will NOT open a full Xpress document.

Any Apple iPad is NOT the equivalent of a full featured laptop/MacBook computer.

No matter how Apple is trying to turn something like the iPad Pro into something that seems to work and act like a full laptop.

iPads ard NOT full laptop computer replacements.

At least, NOT for the foreseeable future.

Jan 22, 2021 1:59 AM in response to maggiesathrum

If iPad needs are modest, I would just purchase Apple's bottom, budget 2020, 10.2 inch screen, 8th gen iPad.

OR, if you can still find it, the previous 2019, 10.2 inch screen iPad 7th gen.

Apple is moving to larger screen iPads in all of their newer models now.

The newer base model iPads have a 1/2 inch larger screen on the diagonal.

It is a noticeable difference in screen size from the old 9.7 inch screen standard from 2 years, ago.

There are only two storage sizes a 32 or 128 GBs storage size for the 7th and 8th gen iPad models.

The 32 GB iPad only has an actual, usable internal data storage amount of around 20-22 GBs.

A 128 GBs iPad has an actual, usable internal data storage space amount of about 110 GBs.

Apple iOS devices have NO expandable storage, so purchase an iPad with as much internal storage as you can afford.

If these newer iPads are too expensive for you ( since you purchased a, probably, pretty cheap old iPad 3rd generation ), you need to be more careful where you purchase older, used Apple iOS devices so you do not get stuck with a user activation locked iPad.

User Activation lock is something that can almost never be resolved and leaves you with a dead, useless iPad.

A properly reset for sale iPad, when powered on, will greet the user the an animated, multi-language “Welcome” screen indicating a completely erased and reset iPad ready for new ownership.

Anything else that appears on a second-hand iPad, when first powered on, is suspect for user activation lock and should be avoided for purchase.

If budget/pricing is a paramount concern, the oldest iPad I would, realistically, look for would be the 2017, 5th gen iPad or the 2018, 6th gen iPad.

Both of these previous models only come in 32 GBs or 128 GBs models, as well.

The 2018, 6th gen, the 2019, 7th gen and 2020, 8th gen iPads have the option accessory of the original, 1st gen Apple Pencil, if that is of interest to you.

The 2017, 5th gen iPad, which looks almost identical to the 6th gen iPad, has NO Apple Pencil support/compatibility.

Best of Luck to You!

Jan 22, 2021 4:09 AM in response to maggiesathrum

MichelPMs caution to avoid the older models of iPad, that are themselves likely approaching the end of update support, is good advice.

Recent news, as published in the technical press, has indicated that the iPad Air2 (already the iPad with the longest period of sustained update support) will not receive update to later major versions of iPadOS. Other older models, with only 2GB internal RAM, are likely to suffer the same fate.

If spending money, the newer the iPad model, the longer you will enjoy the benefits of an “in-support” device.

Likewise, as advised by MichelPM, don’t be tempted to skimp on internal storage. Choosing a model with too little storage can rapidly become a millstone. Internal storage cannot be extended or upgraded. If investing in a replacement iPad, you should purchase as much storage as you can afford.

As an absolute minimum, if your current iPad is at the lower end of the storage range for its model - but is otherwise adequate for your needs - you might be well advised to consider the next storage tier “up” from that of your current iPad.

Jan 22, 2021 4:05 PM in response to maggiesathrum

iPads with cellular service are for cellular data use plans, ONLY, for the most part.

iPads are NOT iPhones.

Also, cellular iPads have both cellular and GPS antennas that allow use of more accurate GPS services, like Google and Apple Maps apps.

The GPS antennas work accurately regardless of whether the iPad is using a cellular service, or not.

You CAN make calls using Voice Over IP ( VOIP) services and you CAN pair an iPhone to an iPad or Apple Watch to make and receive calls from an iPhone, but an actual iPhone is needed.

That is pretty much it!

iPads are NOT iPhones.

Unable to get new refurbished iPad 3rd gen .to fully work in safari.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.