Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multicoloured smudge on iPad screen. Like oil film.

It is not affecting the functioning. How can I get rid of this smudge

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 19, 2021 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 2:23 AM

Very interesting. I did not use the iPad for a few days as I was busy. The battery got completely discharged. Then when I started recharging it took a long time and slowly the screen started separating from the back case. The technitain immediately recognised it as battery problem. After the replacement of battery the iPad is working well and the multicoloured patch has also vanished. It looks like the battery was dying and expanding causing pressure on the screen from within. Eventually it expanded so much that the screen started coming out of the case.

So appearance of a patch is a warning to check the battery.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 2:23 AM in response to k-b-m

Very interesting. I did not use the iPad for a few days as I was busy. The battery got completely discharged. Then when I started recharging it took a long time and slowly the screen started separating from the back case. The technitain immediately recognised it as battery problem. After the replacement of battery the iPad is working well and the multicoloured patch has also vanished. It looks like the battery was dying and expanding causing pressure on the screen from within. Eventually it expanded so much that the screen started coming out of the case.

So appearance of a patch is a warning to check the battery.

Jan 20, 2021 8:12 AM in response to k-b-m

Given your supplementary comments, this may well be a credible cause of the problem. LCD screens should always be protected from sustained localised or point pressure. Notwithstanding the possibility of breaking the screen glass, the LCD layer below the screen polariser can be deformed - effectively displacing the very thin liquid layer.

The effect that you see may be the LCD material being mechanically reoriented with respect to the polariser.

Positive diagnosis on the basis of a photograph alone is impossible. If the problem persists, examination by an Apple technician may be required.

Multicoloured smudge on iPad screen. Like oil film.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.