Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

technical

Hi there, my Apple MacBook Pro 13'' (2011) 2.4 Core (i5) - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD is switching on but won't finish booting up. I have tried restarting it, several times but no success.. please help! Thank you

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 5:00 AM

Hi,

Boot in Safe mode then normal boot could solve your issue.

Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, try to repair with recovery mode to run Disk First Aid of DiskUtility.

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

6 replies

Jan 23, 2021 12:08 PM in response to coco134

While I am fairly confident your hard drive is failing there are several other ways to verify the health of the hard drive. One is by putting the laptop into Target Disk Mode so the laptop appears as an external drive when connected to another computer (PC or Mac). Removing the hard drive and using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or enclosure to connect the drive to another computer (PC or Mac). Or you can install macOS to an external drive so you can boot the Mac with the external drive. You can then use DriveDx (macOS) or GSmartControl (Windows/Linux) to retrieve the health information from the hard drive. You can also use a bootable Knoppix Linux USB stick to check the health of the hard drive (I can provide instructions for using Knoppix if you are interested).

It is very easy to replace the hard drive in this model with an SSD. The more difficult part may be installing macOS to the new drive using Internet Recovery Mode or a bootable macOS USB installer.

technical

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.