Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this Time Machine change with Big Sur correct?

I have a new MacBook Pro with Big Sur. I use an external drive for some documents and up to now Time Machine was backing up my external drive without problems. I could not get Time Machine with Big Sur to backup my external drive. I called Apple Support and they told me that Big Sur has changed Time Machine and that now it can only backup the internal hard drive.

This sounds to me a little incredible, that is, that the new OS would set such a limitation to a good functionality of the previous one. I just want to verify that in your experience this reply by Apple Support is correct and that I now need to use a third party backup application.

Thanks for your time.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 7:40 AM

TM can still include an external drive when backing up. Open a backup file and you'll see the external drive appears as a back-upped element. If not: go to SystemPreferences, TimeMachine, Options and check if the external drive isn't excluded

New is that it is advised to format a new backupdrive in the APFS format. If you keep using a backup drive that is already formatted in MacOs Journaled extended, it doesn't cause a problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 7:40 AM in response to Rojmer

TM can still include an external drive when backing up. Open a backup file and you'll see the external drive appears as a back-upped element. If not: go to SystemPreferences, TimeMachine, Options and check if the external drive isn't excluded

New is that it is advised to format a new backupdrive in the APFS format. If you keep using a backup drive that is already formatted in MacOs Journaled extended, it doesn't cause a problem.

Is this Time Machine change with Big Sur correct?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.