Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty in Retrieving Data and making New Movies

I download all my movie clips onto my (venerable) MacBook. I'm running El Capitain and I Movie 8.0.9. Several completed projects will not play, so I wondered if I can transfer movie clips from the MacBook to my I Mac running Catalina 10.15.7 and I Movie 10,2,2? Notice that the movie clips on the MacBook seem to be duplicated, one clip plays OK and the other plays in a disjointed manner. I copied all the movie library clips via usb to my I Mac, but I got a warning to say that some of the clips were in a format that could not be recognised. The others seem to have been converted to QT files that are not recognised. I am beside myself this far. Please can anybody help me?trying to sort this one out and frankly my skills do not extend

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 11:40 AM

Your projects may contain legacy media that is not supported in Catalina, a 64 bit OS, or in the current iMovie versions. The media would need to be converted.

Take a look at this link for more information:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT209029

-- Rich

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 23, 2021 5:11 AM in response to Rich839

was not compatible with my I-Mac.Hi Rich,

Thanks very much for the information. As I see it because I didn't convert my media before I upgraded to Catalina, I have now lost the opportunity to convert it. This is why I got the warning telling me that the information could not be read. Do I still have the opportunity to take it from my MacBook and convert it to a compatible format in any way?

Regards,

Roger

Feb 1, 2021 8:11 AM in response to rcoo26

Before doing anything, I would suggest that you contact Apple Support and have them walk you through this. They have the capability of remotely accessing your computer that we cannot do here. To contact support click on the Contact Support item in the upper right hand corner of this forum's screen and navigate to a place where you can enter your

phone number.

If you prefer to work on it yourself, you can try converting the incompatible clips to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download, Handbrake.

You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

A simple way to do it is to open Handbrake and do a File/Open Source. Navigate to your video and choose it as the source from the resulting screen. Then do File/Start Encoding. Wait a couple of minutes for the conversion to complete. Then save and import the converted clip into your iMac or into iMovie on your iMac.

I would try it with one test clip before converting them all. If you wish to preserve the original format of your clip you can make a duplicate of the clip and convert the duplicate.

iMovie 8 will not work with Catalina because iMovie 8 is a 32 bit application.

If you have the iMovie 10 app on your MacBook that is running El Capitan you may want to open iMovie 10 and do a File/Update Projects and Events. That will create a special library in iMovie 10 where your iMovie 8 projects will be updated and then can be played and edited in iMovie 10. You can still keep iMovie 8 and its projects on your Mac as well, if you wish.

Also, if you can update to Mojave 10.14.6 on your MacBook you can then update your iMovie 10 and do the conversion there.

However, since you have said that you are not super experienced with these kinds of procedures, I reiterate my earlier suggestion that you first contact Apple support.

-- Rich

Difficulty in Retrieving Data and making New Movies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.