Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Vs iCloud Content

iPad Pro 12.9 inch was given as a gift and loaded from previous iPad. The set up was via an iCloud account of now deceased spouse and we do not know the correct password or answers to secret questions. We do know the iPad access password, thankfully. However, The iPad will no longer allow use of FaceTime, Messenger (texting) and other features that were setup with the iCloud address of deceased spouse.

How can I know what is stored on iPad itself vs iCloud? If we wipe the iPad and start a new iCloud account, will we loose photos, contacts, etc.? How can these be backed up without knowing the iCloud password currently on the iPad (unknown password). Can I upload the photos to a shared album on my iCloud? If so, how do I invite the problematic iPad to do the upload since we cannot use the iCloud of deceased spouse (that is currently embedded on this iPad)?

Would I be better off using a laptop to do a backup? As I understand it, I would need the original iCloud password to restore, not sure about this.

If I bring elderly MIL to Apple Store, will they be able to do anything other than wipe the iPad? I have basic knowledge of iOS can can wipe the device myself, but MIL seems to think Apple Genius can do something better? What can they do given these circumstances?

I appreciate all help. Elderly relative is lost without full use of her device, Thanks

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 12:10 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 25, 2021 9:58 AM in response to Tesserax

For anyone who may have a similar problem, I just wanted to post the info I have learned. Users cannot erase an iPad without the iCloud account and current password used to set up the Ipad, even if you know the password needed to access the iPad. I have initiated the process to verify to Apple that we purchased this iPad, provided required proof of purchase, and we are waiting for them to erase / reset the device. This is not an instantaneous process. This could have been a big problem if we were not able to find receipt (purchased in store at Best Buy). From now on, I will purchase all devices and accessories for my elderly relatives directly at apple with receipt emailed to me. Good luck to anyone facing a similar issue.

Ipad Vs iCloud Content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.