Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 - No printer driver

With my new MBA M1, unfortunately I can't print anymore. I have a Brother DCP-L2500D. It's also showing up in the "Add Printer" dialog, but I can not add it because it say: "Software for this printer isn't available from Apple".

Thanks,

Car

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2021 2:03 PM

car17 Said:

"MacBook Air M1 - No printer driver: With my new MBA M1, unfortunately I can't print anymore. I have a Brother DCP-L2500D. It's also showing up in the "Add Printer" dialog, but I can not add it because it say: "Software for this printer isn't available from Apple". Thanks, Car"

-------

Contact Brother:

If you have paper laying in the tray, then contact the manufacture.: Brother Perhaps they have an App to download that allows for interactivity through WiFi. If you hover your iPhone over it, then I would assume you would have the option of proceeding with a print. But, it is an application that I think you would need.

Start Here: https://www.brother.com/contact-us

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2021 2:03 PM in response to car17

car17 Said:

"MacBook Air M1 - No printer driver: With my new MBA M1, unfortunately I can't print anymore. I have a Brother DCP-L2500D. It's also showing up in the "Add Printer" dialog, but I can not add it because it say: "Software for this printer isn't available from Apple". Thanks, Car"

-------

Contact Brother:

If you have paper laying in the tray, then contact the manufacture.: Brother Perhaps they have an App to download that allows for interactivity through WiFi. If you hover your iPhone over it, then I would assume you would have the option of proceeding with a print. But, it is an application that I think you would need.

Start Here: https://www.brother.com/contact-us

Jan 20, 2021 6:38 PM in response to car17

Hi,

The DCP-L2500D is not mentioned in About AirPrint - Apple Support as an AirPrint printer (other similar models are). This appears to be a USB-only model, correct?

There is a scanner driver for macOS (11) Big Sur. Otherwise a reference is made to AirPrint (which does not help in this case) and iPrint & Scan.

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcpl2500d_eu&os=10065

If necessary, and if you cannot find another suitable solution, there have been some reports about other models using the macOS (10.15) Catalina printer driver 1.5.0 even with Big Sur. However, look upon this as something entirely experimental. It may not work with your printer and the Mac model in question. There is always a risk involved with an experiment. Software conflicts cannot be ruled out. Data can be lost. One may have to erase and re-install everything on the computer. A hardware problem is unlikely, but it is impossible to guarantee anything. Do not do anything if you do not know exactly what you are doing. Always keep multiple backups of important files.

It may be necessary to reset the printing system before adding something new.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

MacBook Air M1 - No printer driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.