Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration of Sierra's photos library to Big Sur's photo app results in loss of any album

Hi!

I migrated a my photos library from my old Mid 2010 MacBook running Sierra to my new MacBook Pro running Big Sur.

First I let the migration assistent do its work with my TimeMachine's backup of the old machine.

I then found that non of my albums has been imported: I found the pictures without my sorting...

That why I copied the photos library again onto an external harddrive and from there to my desktop and opened photos holding the ALT-key and choose the library again.

This migration leeds to the same situation: None of my albums can be found.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Could I achieve to keep my albums when using iCloud to upload the pictures (and albums?) on the old Mac and import them on the new one?

Thanx for your help,

Marc

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 3:56 AM

OMG!!!!

Please forget everything I wrote in my original post!

I once upgraded my old MacBook with a SSD an put the harddrive in an optical bay enclosure.

Because SSDs at that time where expensive, I put photo's library on the second hard drive.

1st mistake: I forgot this.

2nd mistake: I forgot to delete the old library on the SSD???? At least I have to check this now....

Migration assistent didn't copy anything from the 2nd harddrive out of TimeMachine backup, I had to do this manually. Thats when I found my actual photo's library.

Time to go to retirement's home???

At least now I know why I didn't find anyone else with this "Big Sur"-bug ;-)

Bye,

Marc

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 3:56 AM in response to MarqueMarc

OMG!!!!

Please forget everything I wrote in my original post!

I once upgraded my old MacBook with a SSD an put the harddrive in an optical bay enclosure.

Because SSDs at that time where expensive, I put photo's library on the second hard drive.

1st mistake: I forgot this.

2nd mistake: I forgot to delete the old library on the SSD???? At least I have to check this now....

Migration assistent didn't copy anything from the 2nd harddrive out of TimeMachine backup, I had to do this manually. Thats when I found my actual photo's library.

Time to go to retirement's home???

At least now I know why I didn't find anyone else with this "Big Sur"-bug ;-)

Bye,

Marc

Migration of Sierra's photos library to Big Sur's photo app results in loss of any album

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.