Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i save files to an external hard drive from my MacBook Air?

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 4:10 AM

Yes, sure. If you create a new file, choose the external drive as the location to be stored on

If you want to move existing files and folders: you can use the copy-paste method

If you want to move large files like your Photolibrary: see these instructions https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

I suppose you also use an external drive to make TimeMachine backups (always wise to do so). It's not a good idea to use the TimeMachine backup drive for other purposes too, so don't store other files on it.

If you've never used an external drive before and if you have a newer Mac with only USB-c ports, you'll need an adaptor (or usb-c to usb hub)

Most external drives need to be reformatted to use on Mac. Don't use any third-part software to do this: just use Disk-Utility on your Mac.

If you need more information: feel free to ask

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 4:10 AM in response to brandmuse

Yes, sure. If you create a new file, choose the external drive as the location to be stored on

If you want to move existing files and folders: you can use the copy-paste method

If you want to move large files like your Photolibrary: see these instructions https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

I suppose you also use an external drive to make TimeMachine backups (always wise to do so). It's not a good idea to use the TimeMachine backup drive for other purposes too, so don't store other files on it.

If you've never used an external drive before and if you have a newer Mac with only USB-c ports, you'll need an adaptor (or usb-c to usb hub)

Most external drives need to be reformatted to use on Mac. Don't use any third-part software to do this: just use Disk-Utility on your Mac.

If you need more information: feel free to ask

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.