Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the oldest iPad that will still work on the latest operating system

Hi, I want to buy a second-hand iPad to support my daughter's home learning. What's the oldest iPad you can get which still uses the latest operating system please?

I have an old iPad but it won't update the OS anymore and very few apps work on it, so would like to upgrade but cam't afford brand new.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 4:36 PM in response to Vic112

If you purchase the oldest iPadOS 14 supported iPad ( like the 2014 iPad Air 2 and 2015 iPad Mini 4), these are at the bottom of Apple's iPadOS 14 supported iPad hardware list and you would risk that such old iPad models may NOT be eligible for the next major iPadOS 15 release in the Fall of 2021.

Apple, typically supoorts their iOS/iPadOS for 5-6 years and both the iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4 will be at this support threshold.

If you are going to purchase an older, but iPadOS 14 supported device, you may want to look a something a little newer, like older iPad Pro models, like the 2015/2016 iPad Pro models or even the 2017 iPad Pro models, or even the i2017 Pad 5th or 2018 6th generation or even the 2019 iPad 7th generation, which has a nearly 1/2 inch larger diagonal screen.

The newer the iPad, the longer its support may be from Apple.

If shopping for a used iPad online, you should purchase used Apple iOS/iPadOS devices from better known, trusted Apple product/device retailers/resellers, capable of running the latest iPadOS versions.

If looking at Apple devices on eBay, get visual ( photo or video ) proof the the iPad, in question has been properly reset for sale and does NOT have User Activation Lock.

DO NOT take the eBay seller's word that the iPad ( or iPhone ) is free of user activation lock!

If the eBay seller is honest, ask them for the visual photo/video proof of the Apple device being activation lock free.

A properly reset iPad powers up to a multi-language, animated “Welcome” screen that indicates that the iPad has been fully erased and reset and has NO user activation lock.

If the photos or video shows some other screen other than the welcome screen, pass on the iPad!

Best of Luck to You!

What's the oldest iPad that will still work on the latest operating system

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.