Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scaling Photo While Maintaining Aspec

If I crop a photo in iPhoto and set the aspect ratio to 3:7 - is it then possible to assign a width or a length (in pixels) to the photo such that the aspect ratio is still maintained at 3:7 ?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 10:34 AM

So you need a two step process.

First crop the image in the 1:3 ratio.

Then with the image selected, on the file menu: File>export.

in the first pane, you select the image size and quality. In the size, choose custom, then height as 600 as shown in the screenshot.

When you click export, you get another pane to choose the folder to put it in.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 10:34 AM in response to ttibsen

So you need a two step process.

First crop the image in the 1:3 ratio.

Then with the image selected, on the file menu: File>export.

in the first pane, you select the image size and quality. In the size, choose custom, then height as 600 as shown in the screenshot.

When you click export, you get another pane to choose the folder to put it in.

Jan 22, 2021 3:16 AM in response to ttibsen

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to save storage by scaling to the photo down? Photos will always preserve the original in addition to your cropped version, so you will not save any storage by downsizing the pixel size.

To replace the photo with a lesser quality version of a smaller pixel size you have to export it and import it again, as Tony explained. The file format of a photo can only be changed by exporting or sharing, when Photos will actually render a version of the cropped or adjusted photo.

Jan 22, 2021 7:38 AM in response to léonie

Thank you both for your responses. What am I trying to achieve? I am attempting to learn html. and I thought it would be nice if I could assign an image to a particular element in a web page layout. More specifically, I have my layout as shown in the attachment. The white portion of the layout (which has dimensions W:200 X H:600 px and therefore an aspect ratio of 1:3) is what I would like to assign a background image to. So the idea was to crop a part of an existing photo at the 1:3 ratio ideally at the dimensions W:200 X H:600 px so that it would fit perfectly into the white portion of the layout. I'm still uncertain whether I can do this with iPhoto.

Jan 22, 2021 2:07 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Oh wow professor Collinet! Thanks so much for that clear and concise reply. I have been beating my head against a wall for quite awhile now trying to find an answer for my dilemma. Now thanks to you I can control both parameters - aspect ratio and dimensions - just what I needed! Extra gratifying to know that it can all be done with what I already have, know and love - iPhoto. That was great!!

Scaling Photo While Maintaining Aspec

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.