Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete/Clean UP of .pkg files

Hi All,

I am running on macOS Catalina 10.15.6, the system has 128 GB of space. I am planning to install Big Sur but do not have much space left. Did some cleanup and during the process found the below files occupying almost 7- 8 GB of space under "other" section.

1. macOSUpd10.15.16Supplemental.pkg
  2. couple of macOSUpd10.15.17.pkg

Can you please advise if it is safe to delete these files or something else that can be safely done to cleanup the space?

Thanks

Sumit

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 10:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2021 10:46 PM

It would much easier and safer to move some of your personal files to an external drive to free up space on your internal drive, install Big Sur and move the files back to your internal drive when the install has completed.

Apple and common sense always recommend that you maintain a backup of your main drive at all times, especially before a major upgrade like Big Sur. Chances are everything will go fine but if something happens, whether it is minor or catastrophic, it might take you a long time to recover your files or you might never recover them and that might cost you money you would rather spend on other things.

You will need 35.5 GB of free space to install Big Sur but that space will be mostly regained if not more after the installation.

I assume you own a MacBook Air.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2021 10:46 PM in response to sumitmukund89

It would much easier and safer to move some of your personal files to an external drive to free up space on your internal drive, install Big Sur and move the files back to your internal drive when the install has completed.

Apple and common sense always recommend that you maintain a backup of your main drive at all times, especially before a major upgrade like Big Sur. Chances are everything will go fine but if something happens, whether it is minor or catastrophic, it might take you a long time to recover your files or you might never recover them and that might cost you money you would rather spend on other things.

You will need 35.5 GB of free space to install Big Sur but that space will be mostly regained if not more after the installation.

I assume you own a MacBook Air.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Delete/Clean UP of .pkg files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.