Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rosetta 2

is it ok to load rosetta 2 on my new macbook pro m1 with Big Sur?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 1:39 PM

GrastyMD wrote:

Yes, it should load (down load) automatically if needed

I can add—

Rosetta 2 an emulator built into macOS Big Sur that will enable ARM Macs (M1) to run old Intel applications. Rosetta 2 essentially “translates” instructions that were written for Intel processors into commands that Apple’s chips (SoC) can understand. Developers won’t need to make any changes to their old apps; they’ll just work.

Rosetta 2 works with Intel-based apps distributed through the Mac App Store, and desktop applications downloaded and installed from external sources.

To the user, Rosetta is mostly transparent. If an executable contains only Intel instructions, macOS automatically launches Rosetta and begins the translation process.

When launching any Mac apps for the first time on Apple Silicon Macs, the apps will bounce in the dock for approximately 20 seconds while the Rosetta 2 translation process is completed, with all subsequent launches being fast.

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 1:39 PM in response to GrastyMD

GrastyMD wrote:

Yes, it should load (down load) automatically if needed

I can add—

Rosetta 2 an emulator built into macOS Big Sur that will enable ARM Macs (M1) to run old Intel applications. Rosetta 2 essentially “translates” instructions that were written for Intel processors into commands that Apple’s chips (SoC) can understand. Developers won’t need to make any changes to their old apps; they’ll just work.

Rosetta 2 works with Intel-based apps distributed through the Mac App Store, and desktop applications downloaded and installed from external sources.

To the user, Rosetta is mostly transparent. If an executable contains only Intel instructions, macOS automatically launches Rosetta and begins the translation process.

When launching any Mac apps for the first time on Apple Silicon Macs, the apps will bounce in the dock for approximately 20 seconds while the Rosetta 2 translation process is completed, with all subsequent launches being fast.

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac

Rosetta 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.