Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my brand new MacBook Pro battery running so hot?

Why is my new MacBook Pro battery running so hot?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 22, 2021 6:14 PM

The Apple Retina laptops run much hotter than older models. Depending on what you are doing the CPUs typically run between 50C and 100C with most average workloads running the CPU around 80C.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. This should tell you if the laptops cooling system is performing properly.

To look for software issues that may cause your laptop to run hotter than normal you can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

You can try an SMC Reset as well.

Any overheating is usually from a software issue or a user not being prepared for how hot these new laptops run. Laptops really are not made to sit on a lap anymore.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 22, 2021 6:14 PM in response to kyler555

The Apple Retina laptops run much hotter than older models. Depending on what you are doing the CPUs typically run between 50C and 100C with most average workloads running the CPU around 80C.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. This should tell you if the laptops cooling system is performing properly.

To look for software issues that may cause your laptop to run hotter than normal you can run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

You can try an SMC Reset as well.

Any overheating is usually from a software issue or a user not being prepared for how hot these new laptops run. Laptops really are not made to sit on a lap anymore.

Jan 22, 2021 5:46 PM in response to Branta_uk

It literally feels like it’s burning my lap. And I also never really hear it cycling air, like most laptops do. I just got it in December. It’s the 16in 2019 model. I bought upgraded storage (1TB) and RAM (32GB). I am not sure if I should take it in somewhere to have it checked, as it cannot be healthy! Also, the charge doesn’t last very long either, MAYBE a few hours. And to give perspective, I am a photographer so, I have a hard drive hooked up and I use Lightroom most of the time.

Why is my brand new MacBook Pro battery running so hot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.