Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get rid of 'other volumes in the container' which use over 80 gb of my storage (128)

When I try to install a new app it tells me there is not enough storage, because I went from Mojave to Catalina and most of my 128 gb storage is now greyed out. Reading on line this is one of the worst things that Catalina does. But what is the solution.

The solution written below (by mdirzpr) doesn't make any change for my computer.

Hi,

I solve the problem for my system.

This is the procedure:

• open Disk Utility
  • go to view menu and check the "show All Devices"
  • You will see some options (Macintosh HD) on Container-disk1 and one of them is unmounted (Macintosh HD - Data). select that one and mount it.
  • finally restart your Mac

I hope this solution will work for you.

I need more help.

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 2:52 PM

Hey again! No worries glad to help.

So the Macintosh HD you definitely need, as well as one of the Macintosh HD Data’s (Which stores all your data).

So it seems if the “-“ was greyed out for the top Mac-Data, that’s probably the volume you’re booted to right now, so you’d want to keep that one.

As for the second volume (Mac-Data Data), (The bottom one), the “-“ was greeted out for that one as well?

Its using 14gb of data, which is about the size of the OS installer/OS. But if you’re all your data can be accessed by logging in normally, and you can’t remove the Data Data volume while logged in, the I’d probably boot to recovery mode to remove it via “-“. Then restart. I’d do a backup before hand though just to be safe.

To startup in recovery just shut down, then start it up while holding Command R until you reach the Apple logo, you’ll see Disk Utility there. (Unless you have the newest Mac models, you’d have to start up and continuing holding power until you see startup options).

Hope all goes good!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 2:52 PM in response to billy-the-boy

Hey again! No worries glad to help.

So the Macintosh HD you definitely need, as well as one of the Macintosh HD Data’s (Which stores all your data).

So it seems if the “-“ was greyed out for the top Mac-Data, that’s probably the volume you’re booted to right now, so you’d want to keep that one.

As for the second volume (Mac-Data Data), (The bottom one), the “-“ was greeted out for that one as well?

Its using 14gb of data, which is about the size of the OS installer/OS. But if you’re all your data can be accessed by logging in normally, and you can’t remove the Data Data volume while logged in, the I’d probably boot to recovery mode to remove it via “-“. Then restart. I’d do a backup before hand though just to be safe.

To startup in recovery just shut down, then start it up while holding Command R until you reach the Apple logo, you’ll see Disk Utility there. (Unless you have the newest Mac models, you’d have to start up and continuing holding power until you see startup options).

Hope all goes good!

Jan 25, 2021 3:37 AM in response to DiZoE

Hello DiZoE,

Thank you a Million. I got some space (up to 69 GB) with the help of your instruction, by deleting one of the Macintosh HD - DATA (which I could select ''-''. ) but it still has other volume which covers up to 40 GB.

around 23 GB is still occupied by Macintosh HD -DATA ( in red color ) as it can be seen below, which ı can not delete. ''-'' is not selectable.

and h

ere below you can see another ss, in order to see what kind of alert it will give, when I am trying to select Minus for ''Macintosh HD '' section.

and the Macintosh HD DATA that, on the left side down corner is cannot be either deleted nor ''-'' is selectable.

Thank you all again for the help.

Jan 23, 2021 2:16 AM in response to billy-the-boy

Hey there!

With the instructions you’ve already followed:

Can you say what exactly you see in Disk Utility after selecting View > Show All Devices?

It sounds to me as if there’s either:

A split Fusion drive.

OR:

An extra partition that was added upon the upgrade, other than the new “Data” partition.

I could be wrong, but if you do go to Disk Utility (While logged into your normal user, and all your data looks the same):

Is there a second, or third “Macintosh HD Data” volume?

If so, and you highlight it, and next to “Volumes” the minus sign, “-“, is selectable, means you are not booted to this volume, and, if all data is there, can safely press the “-“ to remove the extra Data Volume.

Otherwise, can you give the specs of your Mac? And what you see from top to bottom in Disk Utility? Thanks!

Jan 25, 2021 3:22 PM in response to billy-the-boy

You reinstalled the OS onto your Data volume.

Macintosh HD is an orphan. It probably has your previous OS installed on it and will boot if you want.

However, you can Remove it by selecting the volume and clicking the Remove Volume button ( – ).

Once you've removed that volume, you can rename Macintosh HD - Data (the one with the down arrow next to it) to Macintosh HD (or whatever you want).

how to get rid of 'other volumes in the container' which use over 80 gb of my storage (128)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.