Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with second monitor operation

I purchased a new 2020 iMac. I connected my old iMac (2011) as a second monitor via usb cable (adapter). I started my new Mac, I then pressed "command" + F2 and the second monitor worked perfectly. When I put the new Mac to sleep or turn it off both monitors go black (asleep). But when I restart the new Mac I have to (again) press the command F2 key to command the second monitor to perform as a second monitor. Is there a way to command the second monitor to always perform as a second monitor? I have called A[ple 2 times and they can't figure it out.

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 3:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 8:34 AM

Your 2011 iMac does support Target Display Mode. However your 2020 iMac does not support using another iMac as a display. carefully study > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

3 replies

Jan 25, 2021 4:32 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Well, I suppose you are correct but...I asked Apple several times if I could use my new iMac as a monitor and I was told YES every time I called. I took my time and tried to cover all my bases before I ordered the computer but apparently I was told wrong. I guess I will buy me another Dell to use as a second monitor. Thank you for you reply.

Problem with second monitor operation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.