Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting an app

I’ve tried to delete an app several ways with no success.

I tried on a main page by holding down on the app icon until a selection list appears but there’s no “Delete” available.

Tried the same thing in the App Library with no better luck.

Tried going to Settings>>General>>iPhone Storage.

Found the app in question and selected it. No “Delete” selection shown. Only the App size and data storage sizes are shown.

How can you delete an unwanted app, permanently?

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 8:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2021 9:12 PM

mmm, I may be able to help you

Option one, the good and old power on and off

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until an option to “slide to power off” appears.
  2. Slide the power icon to the right, then wait for your device to power down.
  3. After about 15 seconds, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn the device back on.
  4. Try to see if you can delete the app by holding down that app or going into storage

Option two, You may have a restriction

1. Open “Settings“.
  2. Select “General“.
  3. In iOS12 and higher choose “Screen Time” > “Content Privacy & Restrictions” > “Content Privacy” > “iTunes & App Store Purchases“. In iOS 11 and lower, choose “General” > “Restrictions“.
  4. Enter the password set for restrictions.
  5. Set the “Deleting Apps” setting to “On/Allow” so that it is allowed.

Option three, Pre-installed app

I've got an iPad and iPhone of my own and looked to see what apps you can NOT delete, there is no option to delete (no x)

• Photos
  • Camera
  • Find my
  • Settings
  • App store
  • Clock
  • Wallet

the app you are trying to delete may be an app you can't delete as it came with your iDevice. What app is it ?

If you're trying to delete a pre-built app check this website Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch - Apple Support.

so if you are trying to delete these apps, well you can't as apple doesn't allow you to delete these

Cheers

Ethan

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 23, 2021 9:12 PM in response to Thompste

mmm, I may be able to help you

Option one, the good and old power on and off

1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until an option to “slide to power off” appears.
  2. Slide the power icon to the right, then wait for your device to power down.
  3. After about 15 seconds, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button to turn the device back on.
  4. Try to see if you can delete the app by holding down that app or going into storage

Option two, You may have a restriction

1. Open “Settings“.
  2. Select “General“.
  3. In iOS12 and higher choose “Screen Time” > “Content Privacy & Restrictions” > “Content Privacy” > “iTunes & App Store Purchases“. In iOS 11 and lower, choose “General” > “Restrictions“.
  4. Enter the password set for restrictions.
  5. Set the “Deleting Apps” setting to “On/Allow” so that it is allowed.

Option three, Pre-installed app

I've got an iPad and iPhone of my own and looked to see what apps you can NOT delete, there is no option to delete (no x)

• Photos
  • Camera
  • Find my
  • Settings
  • App store
  • Clock
  • Wallet

the app you are trying to delete may be an app you can't delete as it came with your iDevice. What app is it ?

If you're trying to delete a pre-built app check this website Delete built-in Apple apps on your iOS 12, iOS 13, or iPadOS device or Apple Watch - Apple Support.

so if you are trying to delete these apps, well you can't as apple doesn't allow you to delete these

Cheers

Ethan

Deleting an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.