Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maps on CarPlay not working right

I’m having a real issue all of a sudden with any map application using CarPlay. It appears the GPS/coordinates are not correct only when I connect to CarPlay. If I disconnect, the maps work fine on my phone. I tried disconnecting the phone, resetting my network settings on my iPhone, and restarting and nothing seems to work. I added my wife’s phone to my car, and it’s a brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max and the same issue is there.

I really don’t know what has changed, it’s a fairly new unit in my car and has worked great for months and then a week ago all maps (Waze, Apple Maps, Google Maps) have no idea where I’m at. Is this on the phone or the unit (seems odd to be the unit since there have been no upgrades or anything), or perhaps the latest iOS update?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 7:44 AM

Hello chuckp27,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, when you have your phone connected to CarPlay maps doesn't work correctly and you're aren't getting the correct coordinates. We're happy to help!

We recommend taking a look at this article with steps to Set up CarPlay with your iPhone. Specifically: 

Get help

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.

1. Make sure that Siri is turned on.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
  3. If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  4. Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Have you also contacted your car dealer about this issue? Since it seems that maps works fine when not plugged into CarPlay and only doesn't work when it is plugged in.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 7:44 AM in response to chuckp27

Hello chuckp27,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, when you have your phone connected to CarPlay maps doesn't work correctly and you're aren't getting the correct coordinates. We're happy to help!

We recommend taking a look at this article with steps to Set up CarPlay with your iPhone. Specifically: 

Get help

If CarPlay doesn't work like you expect, here’s what you can check. After each step, try using CarPlay again.

1. Make sure that Siri is turned on.
  2. Restart your iPhone and your car. Depending on your car, you might see the CarPlay Home screen when you turn it on. If you don't, look for the CarPlay logo on your car’s display.
  3. If possible, connect your iPhone to a different USB port in your car.
  4. Try a different Lightning to USB cable. Make sure that the cable is certified.
  5. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  6. Check your car’s manual for help. You might need to install firmware updates for your stereo.

Have you also contacted your car dealer about this issue? Since it seems that maps works fine when not plugged into CarPlay and only doesn't work when it is plugged in.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Maps on CarPlay not working right

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.