You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change default file icons (for all files of that type)

I just set up a new machine running Big Sur 11.1 from scratch. I was reinstalling my go-to apps, but I noticed that the icons didn't change, even after I selected an app as the default for all files of that type.

For example, .wav files, by default, have album art (or are blank if there is no embedded art). On my old computer, the icon for .wav all changed to the icon of my default .wav player, which was VLC (the orange traffic cone icon). I'd like this to still be the case on my new computer, and I know how to change file icons one-by-one, but for the life of me can't figure out how to get all .wav files to use the VLC icon.

As pictured below, you can see that I manually changed a couple of the .wav files, but the rest remain unchanged, even after a reboot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mac mini, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 1:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 2:13 PM

There's no way a user can batch add a custom icon to more than one file at a time.

Tell Apple what missing features you'd like restored or new features added to the system via Feedback - macOS - Apple.  

Similar questions

4 replies

Change default file icons (for all files of that type)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.