Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring data from an external Drive to a new SSD Internal drive on my mid 2010 Mac Book Pro.

How do I Transfer data from an External Drive to a new Internal Drive on my (mid 2010) Mac Book Pro?

MacBook Pro 17″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 9:52 AM

Hello bigfrom01,

It sounds as though you're wanting to import data to your MacBook Pro from an external hard drive. To clarify, are you wanting to restore to a Time Machine backup? If so, those steps can be found in the following article.

Restore your Mac from a backup

If the external hard drive only has information you've saved such as files, and documents you can access the external via Finder, and you can drag and drop the content into the desired folder on your Mac.

Have a great day!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 9:52 AM in response to bigfrog01

Hello bigfrom01,

It sounds as though you're wanting to import data to your MacBook Pro from an external hard drive. To clarify, are you wanting to restore to a Time Machine backup? If so, those steps can be found in the following article.

Restore your Mac from a backup

If the external hard drive only has information you've saved such as files, and documents you can access the external via Finder, and you can drag and drop the content into the desired folder on your Mac.

Have a great day!

Jan 26, 2021 3:53 PM in response to bigfrog01

Hello bigfrog01,

We're glad you had the opportunity to contact Apple. With regards to the new SSD and formatting have you already installed macOS and set up the Mac you can access Migration Assistant from the existing user account, or you can erase the Mac and reinstall macOS. After doing so you'll have the opportunity to restore to the backup during the set up of the Mac.

How to reinstall macOS

If you haven't installed macOS using the new SSD the reinstall steps can help with getting that installed successfully.

Take care.

Jan 26, 2021 2:58 PM in response to bigfrog01

Hi karina 184. I noticed one of the articles discusses erasing data on the internal hard drive. Since I am replacing the old internal hard drive with a new SSD drive, I don't think the erasing step is needed? As I mentioned I plan to install the new SSD internal hard drive, then use the Time Machine to transfer the backed up data from the original hard drive to the new internal SSD drive.

Am I right in my assumption? Also will I need to format the new internal SSD drive before transferring data to it?

Please advise,

Tom

Transferring data from an external Drive to a new SSD Internal drive on my mid 2010 Mac Book Pro.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.