Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

I get this error when trying to watch PURCHASED movies, TV shows, etc. in the MacOS TV App.

"This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)."

All the purchased content just shows a blank-black screen when I hit play. All of the media worked before. What could cause this?

p.s. Reauthorizing my computer did not help, restarting did not help, etc.

Thank you

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 12:01 PM

Hi Jack,

I tried it in Safe Mode but the videos did not play in either the "Watch Now" or "Library" Tabs or any other tab.

Here is everything I have tried so far:

• Restarted the Computer
  • Started in Safe Mode
  • Reset the PRAM
  • Reset the SMC
  • Ran Disk Utility
  • Reauthorized the Computer
  • Signed Out and Signed Back Into TV app
  • Disabled almost every other app from running
  • Un plugged all external devices

So far, no luck in getting the videos to play from the "Library" tab of the macOS TV app.

Any other ideas?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 26, 2021 12:01 PM in response to Jack-19

Hi Jack,

I tried it in Safe Mode but the videos did not play in either the "Watch Now" or "Library" Tabs or any other tab.

Here is everything I have tried so far:

• Restarted the Computer
  • Started in Safe Mode
  • Reset the PRAM
  • Reset the SMC
  • Ran Disk Utility
  • Reauthorized the Computer
  • Signed Out and Signed Back Into TV app
  • Disabled almost every other app from running
  • Un plugged all external devices

So far, no luck in getting the videos to play from the "Library" tab of the macOS TV app.

Any other ideas?

Jan 25, 2021 3:14 PM in response to Jack-19

Hello,

There should be no copyright issue. I am playing purchased content purchased from the same Apple account I have had for 14 years.

I also just noticed that the issue is only when I am trying to play purchased movies and TV shows from the "Library" tab of the macOS TV app. Yet I can play the same purchased videos from the "Watch Now" tab of the macOS TV app.

So there is something going on with the LIBRARY part of the macOS TV app.

Jan 24, 2021 10:41 PM in response to alcheme

Hi alcheme,

I see your question above. This error means there is something that is not allowing it too play due to a copyright issue. This could be anything from a projector or monitor being connected to your Mac that is not supported to you are currently screen sharing / recording your screen.

Please respond with more details about your Mac setup.

Cheers,

Jack

This movie can be played only on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.