Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto is hanging when I open it. Running El Captain 10.11.6. What can I do to resolve this?

iPhoto is hanging when I open it. Running El Captain 10.11.6. What can I do to resolve this?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 7:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 7:22 AM

Do you have plenty of free storage on your system drive? At least 10GB, better more?

Where is your iPhoto Library stored? Is the library in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

What has happened right before you could no longer open your iPhoto Library? Did you import new photos or videos? Did you move the iPhoto Library somewhere else or open it from another user account?

Did iPhoto crash? If your iPhoto Library is in a supported location (your Pictures folder or on an external volume formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled)), try to use the iPhoto Library First Aid tools, one after the other, as described here by Old Toad: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5064228?answerId=22114274022#22114274022

I'd start with repairing the permissions, and if does not suffice to repair or rebuild the library. But make a backup copy of your iPhoto Library, before you try that.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 7:22 AM in response to discod1amond

Do you have plenty of free storage on your system drive? At least 10GB, better more?

Where is your iPhoto Library stored? Is the library in your Pictures folder or on an external volume?

What has happened right before you could no longer open your iPhoto Library? Did you import new photos or videos? Did you move the iPhoto Library somewhere else or open it from another user account?

Did iPhoto crash? If your iPhoto Library is in a supported location (your Pictures folder or on an external volume formatted MacOS Extended (Journaled)), try to use the iPhoto Library First Aid tools, one after the other, as described here by Old Toad: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5064228?answerId=22114274022#22114274022

I'd start with repairing the permissions, and if does not suffice to repair or rebuild the library. But make a backup copy of your iPhoto Library, before you try that.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.