Developer Forums relocated!

Need help with Apple Developer tools and technologies? Want to share information with other developers and Apple engineers? Visit Developer Forums at Apple.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I install and use Xcode on external drive?

Hey there!

I recently tried installing Xcode from the App Store, but I got an error message saying I don't have enough space even though I have around 30 gigabytes. I then read a lot of forum posts and found out that I need about 50 gigabytes (which I don't have) to actually install it.

I downloaded Xcode from the developer site and installed it on an external drive, but unfortunately it doesn't work. After looking again for a solution or construction to install Xcode correctly on an external drive, I decided to ask for help.

I've tried Xcode version 12.3 and 11.7 and the external drive is formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as recommended in some posts.

Hope someone can help me

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 8:39 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

How can I install and use Xcode on external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.