Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave

I need to upgrade to Mojave from High Sierra. How can you help me? I have a Mac mini 2011.

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 1:15 PM

Uh, not to be too blunt. Very probably yes. I hope you outlast it though! :-) Do realize that after a computer gets to be more than about 8 years old that old-age starts to show. No more OS updates for it, etc. Now if you're like me and don't mind using 10+ year old equipment and not being able to run the latest software then it doesn't matter. It was only 2 months ago that I finally upgraded to a 2012 Mac and I probably will only take it to High Sierra vs the Mojave it could run (for compatibility with other equipment).

Okay, that's my take on it. I'll add that one nice thing about using old equipment is it is cheap. I have never in my life paid more than $200 for a computer, and usually less than $100. That means I have some funds to pay for storage drives and other odds and ends which to me are as valuable as saving 1/10,000th of a second on a calculation.

The disadvantage is old equipment will reach that 8 year break point all that much faster. Plus if you're tied to using up-to-date software then you're at the mercy of the companies who bring out releases every year that assume you are running the newest systems too. In theory you can keep upgrading for about 8 years but in reality you may not wish to. Take this 2018 Mac. Make sure you get it with more than you need in terms of memory and RAM. I see a lot of used 2014 Minis that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole because they only have a 128 GB drive and 4 GB RAM. Anything today need at least double on both of those and if you're buying it with 2026 in mind then think 4x that. Of course now computers are all being produced that cannot be upgraded or at best maybe only RAM. Few people could afford to buy a souped up Mini back in 2014 which is why we're seeing all these "useless" Minis out there now. They'd dumping them because they are underpowered for modern use.

Okay, 'nuff said. ;-)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 1:15 PM in response to meloter

Uh, not to be too blunt. Very probably yes. I hope you outlast it though! :-) Do realize that after a computer gets to be more than about 8 years old that old-age starts to show. No more OS updates for it, etc. Now if you're like me and don't mind using 10+ year old equipment and not being able to run the latest software then it doesn't matter. It was only 2 months ago that I finally upgraded to a 2012 Mac and I probably will only take it to High Sierra vs the Mojave it could run (for compatibility with other equipment).

Okay, that's my take on it. I'll add that one nice thing about using old equipment is it is cheap. I have never in my life paid more than $200 for a computer, and usually less than $100. That means I have some funds to pay for storage drives and other odds and ends which to me are as valuable as saving 1/10,000th of a second on a calculation.

The disadvantage is old equipment will reach that 8 year break point all that much faster. Plus if you're tied to using up-to-date software then you're at the mercy of the companies who bring out releases every year that assume you are running the newest systems too. In theory you can keep upgrading for about 8 years but in reality you may not wish to. Take this 2018 Mac. Make sure you get it with more than you need in terms of memory and RAM. I see a lot of used 2014 Minis that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole because they only have a 128 GB drive and 4 GB RAM. Anything today need at least double on both of those and if you're buying it with 2026 in mind then think 4x that. Of course now computers are all being produced that cannot be upgraded or at best maybe only RAM. Few people could afford to buy a souped up Mini back in 2014 which is why we're seeing all these "useless" Minis out there now. They'd dumping them because they are underpowered for modern use.

Okay, 'nuff said. ;-)

Jan 25, 2021 1:42 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for your insight and recommendations. I already put an eBay bid for a 2018 Mini and it seems that I'll be paying $500 if I win the bid. Oh Well, I'll force myself to live another 5-years and if successful, it should be money well spent (providing the unit does not die before I do)....then too, I hope all the accessories like the monitor, CD drive, mouse, keyboard die about the same time. Thanks again.

Jan 25, 2021 2:01 PM in response to meloter

A 2018 Mini is not too bad. It does have upgradeable RAM, but not drive. Still, with the fast USB ports and it being a desktop model it would be liveable with external storage. It should be able to run Mojave if you still have 32 bit applications you want to run. If you do you could consider having a dual boot setup so you could boot to Mojave for your old apps and a newer OS for compatibility with the latest releases. For those reasons I'm thinking a 2018 Mini might be my next model, but I'll wait until 2024 when I can buy yours for $200. ;-D

How to upgrade to macOS Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.