Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur for 2013 MacBook Air

I have a MacBook Air 2013 that keeps prompting an update to Big Sur but tells me every time that the hard drive lacks space after I've moved big files and deleted others. Suggestions?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 12:04 PM

Well it is not lying to you. Your profile shows that you are running Catalina, and to upgrade to Big Sur, you will need a minimum of 35.5 GB of available storage, as reported by a Get Info of your startup drive, not from menu > About This Mac > Storage panel.

From that previously mentioned Storage panel, there is a Manage… button. Click that, and then click the Review Files… button in the Reduce Clutter section. That should show you additional categories of files sorted descending by size.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 12:04 PM in response to cm_frey

Well it is not lying to you. Your profile shows that you are running Catalina, and to upgrade to Big Sur, you will need a minimum of 35.5 GB of available storage, as reported by a Get Info of your startup drive, not from menu > About This Mac > Storage panel.

From that previously mentioned Storage panel, there is a Manage… button. Click that, and then click the Review Files… button in the Reduce Clutter section. That should show you additional categories of files sorted descending by size.

MacOS Big Sur for 2013 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.