Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Linking two cells?

I am trying to make a cell essentially dependant on another cell, so that when I type the "name" (in this instance the food type), the value copies to an assigned cell automatically.

I am not sure I am completely explaining it correctly so please excuse me if this isn't the easiest to read.

How can I link the purple cell (G70 - 0.8) to B70 - Minced Garlic? So that when I type the name 'Minced Garlic' again further down in B77, the second purple cell F77 copies the value from G70?

I am not sure if this is even possible as my formulae knowledge is limited to what I did at uni and nothing like this.

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions people have to help with my dilemma.

Thank you!

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 12:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 3:11 PM

HI KC,

What you are describing is usually done with a 'lookup' formula in F77 (and other sells in that column) getting the value from column B of the same row, then looking up that value in a separate, fixed values, table and returning the value from the same row of that lookup table.

This won't work in your demo table as constructed for a couple of reasons:

The contented of the two cells in column B of the example contain different values—a function searching for "Mince" (B77) will not find "Minced Garlic" (B70), and will return an error.

That function would be searching the same column from which it gets is search value. That action leads to a circular reference (or 'self reference)—a reference to a cell whose value depends on the result of the formula that is getting a value to be used to determine the value in the cell that it is getting the value from…

Given that situation, Numbers will show an error triangle, marking a 'self-regerence error.

Here's an example of a working pair of tables doing what you want. the example is done using people names and data, but the process is the same with your data.

The Data table contains no formulas. All data on this table is entered via the keyboard (or by copy and paste).

Table 1 contains the lookup formula shown below the tables, entered in cell B2, then filled down to the end of that column and filled right to column E.

The formula has two parts:

The core part of the formula, which does the lookup and returns the data to its cell, is shown in bold. The IF statement it is wrapped in suppresses calculation until there is data entered in 'this row' of column A.

IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP($A2,Data::$A:$E,COLUMN(),FALSE))

IF A2 is empty, A2="" returns TRUE, and IF puts a null string ( "" ) in the formula's cell, as in all cells of rows 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

IF A2 contains any value (other than a null string), A2="" returns FALSE, and IF calls the VLOOKUP formula.

VLOOKUP gets the search value from 'this row' of column A, then looks for than value in the first column of the lookup table.

If it is found, COLUMN() returns the number of the column containing this copy of the formula (column 2) and returns the value in the same row of that column as the search value was found.

As the formula is filled to the right, the references to column $A of 'this table' and columns $A:$E of the Data table are preserved by the $ operator to reference the same cell or range of cells. The number returned by COLUMN changes to match the position of each column in 'this table', and determines which column of Data will be the source of the data to be transferred to 'this table'.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 3:11 PM in response to KiernanCasey

HI KC,

What you are describing is usually done with a 'lookup' formula in F77 (and other sells in that column) getting the value from column B of the same row, then looking up that value in a separate, fixed values, table and returning the value from the same row of that lookup table.

This won't work in your demo table as constructed for a couple of reasons:

The contented of the two cells in column B of the example contain different values—a function searching for "Mince" (B77) will not find "Minced Garlic" (B70), and will return an error.

That function would be searching the same column from which it gets is search value. That action leads to a circular reference (or 'self reference)—a reference to a cell whose value depends on the result of the formula that is getting a value to be used to determine the value in the cell that it is getting the value from…

Given that situation, Numbers will show an error triangle, marking a 'self-regerence error.

Here's an example of a working pair of tables doing what you want. the example is done using people names and data, but the process is the same with your data.

The Data table contains no formulas. All data on this table is entered via the keyboard (or by copy and paste).

Table 1 contains the lookup formula shown below the tables, entered in cell B2, then filled down to the end of that column and filled right to column E.

The formula has two parts:

The core part of the formula, which does the lookup and returns the data to its cell, is shown in bold. The IF statement it is wrapped in suppresses calculation until there is data entered in 'this row' of column A.

IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP($A2,Data::$A:$E,COLUMN(),FALSE))

IF A2 is empty, A2="" returns TRUE, and IF puts a null string ( "" ) in the formula's cell, as in all cells of rows 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.

IF A2 contains any value (other than a null string), A2="" returns FALSE, and IF calls the VLOOKUP formula.

VLOOKUP gets the search value from 'this row' of column A, then looks for than value in the first column of the lookup table.

If it is found, COLUMN() returns the number of the column containing this copy of the formula (column 2) and returns the value in the same row of that column as the search value was found.

As the formula is filled to the right, the references to column $A of 'this table' and columns $A:$E of the Data table are preserved by the $ operator to reference the same cell or range of cells. The number returned by COLUMN changes to match the position of each column in 'this table', and determines which column of Data will be the source of the data to be transferred to 'this table'.

Regards,

Barry

Jan 25, 2021 3:18 PM in response to KiernanCasey

Need more assistance?

Set up a demo of the Main table showing the columns in which you will enter data, and, the columns where you will gather related data from the lookup table, and any columns that will be used to show results of calculations with the gathered data.

Set up the Data table (lookup table) with the list of values to be searched in Column A, and the columns containing the data to be returned by the lookup formula, arranged in the same order as they are on the Main table.

Regards,

Barry

Linking two cells?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.