Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Internet Recovery Big Sur Erasing Macintosh HD

I am selling my MacBook Air mid 2013 which is running Big Sur. I went into Internet Recovery > Disk Utility to erase data or volumes before reinstalled Big Sur. Disk Utility only shows the Recovery drive.

I realize that the hard drive configuration changed with Big Sur, but I am unable to find any documentation of how to proceed.

MacBook

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 1:30 PM

Hi there jmickler,

We understand you'd like to erase the disk on your MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur, and we'd like to share a resource that can help.

Check it out here: How to erase your Intel-based Mac

Specifically, the section below may help:

"If you don’t see Macintosh HD in Disk Utility

Your built-in startup disk should be the first item listed in the Disk Utility sidebar. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name. If you don't see it there, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down, then unplug all nonessential devices from your Mac and try again.

If your disk still doesn't appear in Disk Utility, or Disk Utility reports that the erase process failed, your Mac might need service. If you need help, please contact Apple Support."

Cheers!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 1:30 PM in response to jmickler

Hi there jmickler,

We understand you'd like to erase the disk on your MacBook Air running macOS Big Sur, and we'd like to share a resource that can help.

Check it out here: How to erase your Intel-based Mac

Specifically, the section below may help:

"If you don’t see Macintosh HD in Disk Utility

Your built-in startup disk should be the first item listed in the Disk Utility sidebar. It's named Macintosh HD, unless you changed its name. If you don't see it there, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down, then unplug all nonessential devices from your Mac and try again.

If your disk still doesn't appear in Disk Utility, or Disk Utility reports that the erase process failed, your Mac might need service. If you need help, please contact Apple Support."

Cheers!

Internet Recovery Big Sur Erasing Macintosh HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.