Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new printer is not compatable with my computer

So how do I access a generic print driver on my computer to make it work?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2021 6:39 AM

If it is a new printer, does it appear on Apple's list of built-in AirPrint devices? If it does, and it is networked, then you would use the AirPrint driver instead of any vendor drivers.

5 replies

Jan 26, 2021 6:58 PM in response to J26igg4_m

J26igg4_m Said:

"new printer is not compatable with my computer: So how do I access a generic print driver on my computer to make it work?"

-------

Avoid Third-Party Drivers:

You don't access a generic driver, as using a third-party driver is suspicious. You may end up installing malware or spyware for doing so. So, contact the manufacturer.

Run it Using a Windows Virtual Machine:

The only available way to properly use an incomparable printer with your Mac, is through a virtual machine. Used for running Windows (Windows-in-a-window). You would open items in it, and use Windows-only compatible software on it. All would be accessed and would operate as desired on the VMVirtual Machine applications include VMWare Fusion and ParallelsLearn more here: What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMWare Support. The software may be much less expensive then purchasing a new printer, most certainly.

new printer is not compatable with my computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.