Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to Big Sur

I want to update my Mac to Big Sur but the Software Update icon does not appear in Preferences. My Mac is currently running macOS Sierra 10.13.6

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 2:38 AM

Due diligence and read the Requirements in Full before attempting the upgrade to Big Sur. Be certain the computer is compatible with Big Sur. Specially attention the section about Empty Space Requirements. Further, make a Time Machine Backup before attempting and good idea is also make one TESTED Bootable Clone to external drive - insurance incase it goes wrong.

Now, Big Sur, like Catalina do not support any 32 bit applications / extensions so updates / upgrades of existing Applications / extension must be considered before progressing for a smooth upgrade.

Lastly - if any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Optimizer etc are installed now - remove them before hand. They interfere with the OS and can even corrupt the OS

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2021 2:38 AM in response to antolita15

Due diligence and read the Requirements in Full before attempting the upgrade to Big Sur. Be certain the computer is compatible with Big Sur. Specially attention the section about Empty Space Requirements. Further, make a Time Machine Backup before attempting and good idea is also make one TESTED Bootable Clone to external drive - insurance incase it goes wrong.

Now, Big Sur, like Catalina do not support any 32 bit applications / extensions so updates / upgrades of existing Applications / extension must be considered before progressing for a smooth upgrade.

Lastly - if any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Optimizer etc are installed now - remove them before hand. They interfere with the OS and can even corrupt the OS

Update to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.