You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Had 500GB on hard drive before installing Big Sur. After installation I had 89GB

Had 500GB on hard-drive before installing Big Sur. After installation, I had 89GB. Is this normal?

Posted on Jan 26, 2021 3:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2021 8:16 AM

No need to reinstall.

Just delete the extraneous Data volume.

As Barney said:

In Disk Utility, you see two Data volumes:

• one has mount point /System/Volumes/Data - that you want to KEEP.

• the other has mount point /Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data - this one is the old one and you can delete it right there.

Select the volume, control-click and choose Delete APFS Volume.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 27, 2021 8:16 AM in response to Stanpo

No need to reinstall.

Just delete the extraneous Data volume.

As Barney said:

In Disk Utility, you see two Data volumes:

• one has mount point /System/Volumes/Data - that you want to KEEP.

• the other has mount point /Volumes/Macintosh HD - Data - this one is the old one and you can delete it right there.

Select the volume, control-click and choose Delete APFS Volume.

Jan 27, 2021 7:05 AM in response to Barney-15E

I did a clean install from Catalina that had a 1TB internal hard-drive of which 500 plus GB was used. After installing Big Sur I used Time machine to reinstall my programs. I was then left with 89 GB on the hard-drive. I also, after installation, had problems with Time Machine. A problem I solved by renaming one of the Data drives.

Jan 27, 2021 7:29 AM in response to Stanpo

one of the Data drives.

Unless you have two OSes installed, you should only have one Data volume.

That is why I asked how you reinstalled. If you have more than one Data volume, you didn't do a very "clean" install. Clean install is a completely useless term because nobody uses it the same.

You likely still have the Catalina Data volume. You can remove it in Disk Utility.

The "in use" Data volume will be mounted at /System/Volumes/Data.

The orphaned Data volume is mounted at /Volumes.

You can see the Mount Point in the info pane in Disk Utility when you select the volume. You can Remove the volume by clicking the Remove Volume button.

Had 500GB on hard drive before installing Big Sur. After installation I had 89GB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.